How Not To Die

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
joe
Has thanked: 0

Re: How Not To Die

Unread post by joe »

Lindsayt wrote:On the moderation thing, how many people here, when it comes to what they've been eating and drinking, think they've been doing things in moderation?
Me, at least as far as drinking's concerned. Or, put another way, I'm a lightweight. I've not drunk more than three pints or half a bottle of wine in an evening since I was a student, and even then I was too poor to drink much.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

joe, and on the eating front, do you think you've been doing things in moderation?

Lindsayt
Nauru

Daniel Quinn wrote:No defence of your vegan argument then ?

And one persons moderation is another persons excess , your question makes no sense. I drink in moderation ,but I bet you I drink far more than any other person on this forum . What is moderation ?
DQ, please re-read everything I've written in this thread so far. Inparticular my two questions at the end of the OP.

If my question on moderation makes no sense to you, is that because the cliche "Everything in moderation" is too vague to be a meaningful guide when it comes to what we eat, drink and do in the way of exercise?

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

You make a fair point lindsay. I may well have conflated the books points with your advocacy.

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

Lindsayt wrote:
CycleCoach wrote:Everything in moderation - including criticism.

The consensus in the scientific community seems to be that Greger is a reputable scientist (so nothing like the David Wolfs of this world) but that he is guilty of biased reporting of some papers - only quoting those that show bad effects from meat consumption and support his world-view for example.

This doesn't render his work as worthless but it should be viewed with a pinch of salt. There are no absolutes in this field. As DQ already pointed out there are numerous factors at play with regards to health, not just food.
Can you recommend a source of unbiased reporting in this field?
There is a massive amount of information online to sift through and I generally try to find stuff from actual scientists if possible. There isn't a truly unbiased source advocating vegetarian or vegan dieting so my advice would be to explore with care and be very skeptical of any sites with names or mission statements containing the phrases "natural healing," "holistic health," "the power of superfoods," "ten foods you should never eat," etc etc.

There is tons of proper scientific research if you look in the right places and avoid the self-affirming echo-boxes who quote each other in support of whatever agenda.

The two most contemptible are Food Babe and David Wolfe - both of whom are genuinely scary charlatans. Avoid.

The book I recommend to athletes (written by a qualified nutritionist and sports scientist) is called Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald - although this might not be what you're looking for it is actually a good way of planning a "healthier" diet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Racing-Weight- ... ing+weight
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

joe
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by joe »

Lindsayt wrote:joe, and on the eating front, do you think you've been doing things in moderation?
Yes, I believe so. I eat no red meat, plenty of oily fish and lots of fruit & veg. Maybe could cut down on the amount I eat, but I've already shed quite a few pounds since retiring.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I shifted my (rather obsessive) over-eating into a passion for cooking and my focus moved from quantity to quality. Still busy with food - just in another way, preparation rather than consumption.

Can't say that I'm much thinner but my weight has stabilised on the 'generous' side but certainly hasn't increased for some years now.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

Lindsayt
Nauru

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Good research from a reputable source.

We always try to have at least half the plate covered in veg as a starting point.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Slightly off topic, but:

This made me laugh.