How Not To Die

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: How Not To Die

Unread post by CycleCoach »

Everything in moderation - including criticism.

The consensus in the scientific community seems to be that Greger is a reputable scientist (so nothing like the David Wolfs of this world) but that he is guilty of biased reporting of some papers - only quoting those that show bad effects from meat consumption and support his world-view for example.

This doesn't render his work as worthless but it should be viewed with a pinch of salt. There are no absolutes in this field. As DQ already pointed out there are numerous factors at play with regards to health, not just food.
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

The central contention that a vegan diet will make you live longer is bollocks . It does not mean it is untrue , it simply means there is no basis upon which to make this conclusion , thus any relationship with the actual truth { if it could ever be known ] is purely coincidental.

people peddling lifestyle choices for money make me very annoyed .

And other than a narrative fiction to inform you lifestyle choices what merit does it have ?

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

It's possible that Oscar Wilde had it right when he said "“Everything in moderation, including moderation.”

Mind you, he also said “Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.” so perhaps we should ignore him after all.

We're 'lucky' in so much as my missus has a serious congenital heart problem, so eating (what is considered) healthily is a necessity for us rather than a fad.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It really is the flip of a coin. My father - He drank like fish and came home every night from work drunk, he smoked like a chimney, he ate all the fatty and sugary foods he could, he was fat, he had a temper like a wasp, he never stopped talking and he never listened to anyone - yet he lived happily to 96 and would have gone a lot longer if Barnet General hospital hadn't killed him by giving him a super bug.

Daniel Quinn

For any individual it is the flip of the coin . However , there are patterns and correlations.

For instance a life time of heavy smoking and drinking will probably see you die between the ages of 60 and 70. Thus there is probably a 60- 65% chance if you are heavy drinker and smoker you will die within this bracket .

However , assuming that we can define "heavy" and what is heavy for one person is the same as another then what is an individual to make of this .

Nothing ,because you simply cannot make any conclusion from this correlation .

This is why given the state of our current knowledge , the only sensible solution is to do things in moderation unless specifically advised by a health professional .

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

CycleCoach wrote:Everything in moderation - including criticism.

The consensus in the scientific community seems to be that Greger is a reputable scientist (so nothing like the David Wolfs of this world) but that he is guilty of biased reporting of some papers - only quoting those that show bad effects from meat consumption and support his world-view for example.

This doesn't render his work as worthless but it should be viewed with a pinch of salt. There are no absolutes in this field. As DQ already pointed out there are numerous factors at play with regards to health, not just food.
Can you recommend a source of unbiased reporting in this field?

Lindsayt
Nauru

Have you read it?
Daniel Quinn wrote:I don't need to...
Thank-you.

Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:It really is the flip of a coin. My father - He drank like fish and came home every night from work drunk, he smoked like a chimney, he ate all the fatty and sugary foods he could, he was fat, he had a temper like a wasp, he never stopped talking and he never listened to anyone - yet he lived happily to 96 and would have gone a lot longer if Barnet General hospital hadn't killed him by giving him a super bug.
Remember, the plural of anecdote is not data.

Lindsayt
Nauru

On the moderation thing, how many people here, when it comes to what they've been eating and drinking, think they've been doing things in moderation?

Daniel Quinn

No defence of your vegan argument then ?

And one persons moderation is another persons excess , your question makes no sense. I drink in moderation ,but I bet you I drink far more than any other person on this forum . What is moderation ?