How Not To Die

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Daniel Quinn

Re: How Not To Die

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Omega 3, calcium and vitamin d . All of these are post stroke.

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

Good fresh ale have loads vitamins - does it counts?
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Nigel
Wales

Unread post by Nigel »

Good stuff, Daniel Quinn. I take vitamin D and omega 3 too. Please be aware the experts say the body needs a decent intake of magnesium in order to ensure maximising the effective processing of vitamin D and calcium.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20110 ... lcium.aspx

So, if you aren't obtaining an adequate amount through diet it's probably worth a trip to Holland and Barrett or equivalent for magnesium tablets. I take those as well.
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Pioneer DVD300 / Topping E30 or AAAA5 cd player.
Audio Innovations Series 500
Heco Direkt Einklang
Headphones - Musical Fidelity A1 / AKG K1000

Nigel
Wales

Unread post by Nigel »

Quality real ale is wonderful. Truly one of life's greatest pleasures.
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Pioneer DVD300 / Topping E30 or AAAA5 cd player.
Audio Innovations Series 500
Heco Direkt Einklang
Headphones - Musical Fidelity A1 / AKG K1000

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Red wine is better ;)

I also take magnesium , the Mrs is a pain up the are. I am currently taking anti seizure medication . I am of the opinion I no longer need it , she insists I take it till my check up in feb

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Nigel wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:16 pm Lindsay, have you seen the BBC Horizon programme, "Eat, Fast and Live Longer?" It's still available on iPlayer, think it was first shown about 2013.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01lxyzc
If it's the one I'm thinking of, I think I've seen it.

Simon Hickie
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

There's a reference at the beginning of the thread to a more vegan diet. If I had to adopt this, I'd literally spend all day next to the bathroom and be doubled up with gut pain and spending a fortune on loperamide and buscopan! Medication side effects plus IBS mean that I function best on a low fibre, highish protein diet that's rich in dairy and saturated fat. And before you ask, my BP is routinely around 120/70 with a resting pulse of around 60bpm. My alcohol intake is typically less than 5 units per week. Nuts, pulses & wholegrains play havoc with the old digestive system. Man's dental structure and digestive system means that we are designed to be omnivores not herbivores.

We've been misled (kind view) / lied to (probably more accurate) about the so-called benefits of a low fat, low salt diet even though the evidence supporting both & especially the latter is flimsy at best.

Food fascism is rife and the food Nazis (I use the term deliberately) would like nothing better than for us to conform to THEIR agenda about what THEY think is best for us. It's about manipulation and social control and best ignored (a bit like most organised religions). A far better maxim is eat what you like, but aspire to moderation in everything. A diet where one's calorie intake comes from a 1/3 split between protein, carbs and fats is as good a guide as any, but as always it should be up to individuals doing what's best for them.

Rant over.
These users thanked the author Simon Hickie for the post:
TheMarlin (Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:33 am)

Lindsayt
Nauru

I've read Total fitness in 30 minutes a Week - again, after buying a copy off ebay for £2.48. And have started myself and a person who asked for a bit of help on the fitness front on the 10 minutes, every other day, pulse based, exercise routine outlined in the book...

I've also bought Morehouse's other book from 1980 off ebay for a similar price and will read that in due course.

Lindsayt
Nauru

The book How Not To Die didn't say "Keep the fuck out of the Ukraine."

I'm currently reading How Not To Diet - which I borrowed from the library. So far I've found it an interesting and sometimes laugh out loud funny read.
Here's a link to a list of the 4990 cited sources used in this book:
https://nutritionfacts.org/book/how-not ... citations/

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

I've not read the book, so i cannot comment on that, but nutritionfacts.org is full of nutrition misinformation. Be wary.

Hope all is well wherever you are, or are going. :/