Martial arts

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
karatestu
Great Britain

Martial arts

Unread post by karatestu »

I first started learning Karate a couple of years ago because my son wanted to go and i thought i would do it at the same time, to support him mainly.

Anyway, fast forward two years and i am well and truly hooked. It teaches good discipline (essential for little people), fitness, well being and of course self defence. Also it makes me feel good, relaxed and ready to cope with the bollocks life throws at you. I can see us both going to dan grades in the next few years.

But at some point i may want to supplement Karate with other martial arts. What would be good to combine with karate and compliment it's teaching. It is an addiction, i NEED MORE.

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Martial arts

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It will just create confusion in your training. Even within Karate there are styles, and you can be sure what you learn is a simplified westernised version. Traditional martial arts are family arts, so unless you are family or an adopted disciple you don't get that depth of training, but there again that training is so hard i doubt you would want it. You should also note that Western competition Karate is a distortion, the real stuff is not for points it is to kill your opponent.

Some people try to deny it but Karate is not Japanese. Okinawa was under far more Southern Chinese influence in the middle ages than most people realise, it is a derivative of Southern Chinese so called Shaolin arts. This shows up most in Goju Ryu Style, most likely derivative of Hung Ga.

There are also hard and soft martial arts styles, but it is next to impossible to learn both at once as they are counter productive, you have to let go of the one to really get the other. Though I have taught a guy who competed for England in Karate for one of the lower weights techniques he could add. I have a very old youtube vid of some of that training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PF50Nhpo-0 though very few people understand what is being taught, it is not what it seems.

Blimey I was fat back then, early 2000's, I look well over 14 stone there.

jayman67
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jayman67 »

ah,i saw two blokes in the local park doing that whilst i was walking karma, i wondered what they were doing.
ps,doc i wont be going to the audio jumble this Sunday so please don't bring the phono stage in just for me.
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Do you want me to send it.

jayman67

Unread post by jayman67 »

hang fire if thats ok,im having the pioneer looked at next wednesday ,meanwhile he's a video of me back in 2007 doing a similar form of martial arts.
[BBvideo 425,350]https://youtu.be/vIDxm3s_-J4[/BBvideo]
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

So that is what happened to The Hulk :mrgreen:

George Hincapie

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Have a look at Brazilian Ju Jitsu and then perhaps some striking.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Why? do you think I need to learn something. I don't and never have done hard martial arts, nor do I ever want to.

George Hincapie

Unread post by George Hincapie »

I was talking to the OP.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Ok, i will just stick with what i am doing. Maybe just go to additional classes.

We are learning a form of korean karate known as Tang soo do.

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE