HS2 opinions

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: HS2 opinions

Unread post by savvypaul »

Urgently required. Much of UK rail infrastructure is Victorian origin. Few people outside the rail industry (I was in it for 20+ years) realise that demand on the current system is way beyond what it is realistically capable of, and it gets worse every year. It's a no-brainer; if we want a productive, prosperous nation, not just London, then projects like these must happen...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Simon Hickie
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

Overall I'm in favour despite being relatively close to the proposed route. We have to invest in infrastructure and it's either rail or roads. As usual we'll probably mess it all up as we have with energy policy.

Now there's another topic for debate.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

HS2 is under review. An answer by Christmas or so they say.

I for one will be having the biggest party ever known if the proposed line near my house gets scrapped :guiness; :dance: :guiness;
DIY FREE ZONE

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

It's a waste of money. Extra speed is not required. Extra capacity could more easily be honed into the existing west coast line building on less valuable land. The northern east west link appears a more sensible place to spend money. They can't even trump up enough cash to electrify the line into Bristol while spending billions on this white elephant. Improving the railways does not require digging up half of central England.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

karatestu
Great Britain

Couldn't agree more classic but then i am being a bit of a nimby over this. I would still be against it though even if it didn't come near my house (100 metres away).
DIY FREE ZONE

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

karatestu wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:59 pm Couldn't agree more classic but then i am being a bit of a nimby over this. I would still be against it though even if it didn't come near my house (100 metres away).
Has it moved since your first post? :lol: :lol:

Apols, couldn't resist....

karatestu
Great Britain

scotty38 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:03 pm
karatestu wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:59 pm Couldn't agree more classic but then i am being a bit of a nimby over this. I would still be against it though even if it didn't come near my house (100 metres away).
Has it moved since your first post? :lol: :lol:

Apols, couldn't resist....
My first post says within 120 metres. It is actually 100 metres away which is indeed within 120 metres. I used 120 metres originally because that is the cut off point - HS2 must buy your house for market value based on the line not happening if within 120 metres. If within 60 metres then my house would have been compulsory purchased.

I am probably the only member here directly affected by this. They even want to compulsory purchase a small part of my front garden because the road has to be moved to go under the line which is on stilts at this point. I also have an agricultural field which the line runs right through.

I realise that progress must happen to satisfy capitalism but it has been a cause of much stress and i have been in limbo for years. I love my house and didn't want to move. At the same time i can not find a comparable property in the area. We were going to have an extension put on but that has been put on hold. You see phase 2 has not been finalised yet. Bits of the design keep changing.

The whole area will be rejoicing if it gets scrapped. We are not even on a high speed part of the line, just at the very end where it connects to the existing rail network.
DIY FREE ZONE

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

I guess it's the 'not knowing' what's happening that really grates, and like you said an extension has to be put on hold.

Jammy Dodger
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Jammy Dodger »

Total waste of money........

I'd rather have H2S than HS2.