Anyone here a builder

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Anyone here a builder

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I need some advice.

jayman67
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anyone here a builder

Unread post by jayman67 »

i might be able to help but i need more info lol
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

When we moved in a new window / doors was put in at the back of the house. We got it as a bagain on ebay.

Since then the doors have been getting more and more difficult to open and close, so now we dont open them. We have discovered it was fitted with a steel joist / lentel and should have been a concrete lentel and is now bending a few mm in the middle jamming the doors.

There is no sign of brickwork problem apart from fine cracking. I presume it has to be replaced, how difficult and any estimate of sensible cost so I can find a builder up to it.

kimangelis
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

Looks like it was fitted with a steel plate rather than a lintel. An H or I-section steel beam will not bend in the middle. It will require the doors and frame taking out, wall supporting by screw-poles and a concrete or steel RSJ replacing the steel plate. I would think about three days work plus the replacement joist (lintel). Assuming £40 per hour x 24 = £960.00 plus the cost of the RSJ at about £300.00 plus 15% for error, the final cost will be in the region of £1500.00.

I know you've moved here relatively recently, so perhaps you can approach the seller? The job done would not have passed building regulations. Worse-case scenario is the wall collapses. I would advise keeping the doors closed until a solution is implemented. The fine cracking may be incidental, but it may not. Get someone reputable.
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

We got it fitted when we moved in, we were short of cash so cash cowboy builders, no come back. Though all the other work they did was good value.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Can't believe even cowboys would not know to use an RSJ ! Just got rid of some before they did more damage to my roof. Anyhow the whole thing needs re-felting and Chimneys repaired - £12K from a proper outfit. Which is a lot cheaper than the cowboy quoted.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

I reckon you'll need something like these Doc…

http://www.less2build.com/lintels/catni ... GwodED4PGw

This way you can maintain the bricks on end over the door if that's what you want.

Alfi
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I have had a builder look and he says it is an RSJ it is just that for that distance span it should be concrete as what happens is what is happening. He say there is no chance of the RSJ failing, the problem is the small amount of flex in steel. I want more opinions and cost estimates. For example would it be possible to put an upright steel box section joist or bar supporting the overhead joist between the two doors behind as they open outward.

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

I am not a builder but I am renting house with almost identical doors, mine started to misbehave to the point that one couldn't be closed. Landlords builder came and said that those need to be adjusted every 18-24 months and 15 min later doors were working like new...
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

We tried that an I have fed in all adjustment I can, plus you can see from the inside how much it has dropped, about 5mm at worst point.