Am I too Old Fashioned.

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Am I too Old Fashioned.

Unread post by antonio66 »

I very rarely buy a newspaper, mainly Saturdays, for the tv guide. Anyway purchased The Sun today and have seen a small article which took my interest. Keeping it as short as possible:-

A Dominoes Pizza manger has been sacked for "cuffing" a 13 year old boy across the head for throwing sauce into the shop. The manager had worked at the same store for 17 years and previously reported to the police other teenagers throwing sauce into his shop but no one came. He now has to do 60 hours unpaid work and pay his 'victim' £85.

What is the manager supposed to do? Just accept this level of vandalism and clean it up himself. There is no mention of any punishment for the 13 year old victim so presumably this means it is ok to go about throwing sauce into shops. I for one feel sorry for the manager especially after 17 years service.

Daniel Quinn

Re: Am I too Old Fashioned.

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Solving one crime by committing another seems to a very odd way to go about ones business .

Nevertheless , the fault here lies with Domino's Pizza .

if you google Dominos worker sacked ,you will find they appear to have a no tolerance attitude to abusing customers . One which will probably be told to workers prior to starting .

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

This 13 year old was hardly a customer? Perhaps if they were a decent employer they should have given him a final written warning at the most. Surely 17 years counts for something. Proves not worth giving one once of loyalty or effort to most employers today. They wonder why productivity is low and can't get the staff.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Police won't pursue an investigation where there is no hope of obtaining evidence. Get Dominoes to install CCTV.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

I feel that the manager was in a no win situation. Had he refrained from cuffing the boy and tried to physically eject him the result would probably have been the same, and could possibly have been a lot worse. While of course children should have rights, they have learned to use them as an excuse to do as they please and/or avoid discipline in many situations. The courts and employers should use a common sense approach where some discipline is given without kneejerk reactions, which this seems to have been.

Antonio, I don't think that your attitude is old fashioned, mine is about the same. I consider that it is sensible but out of step with today's society and many people's me first attitude.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I was trying to not to get on my high horse but it failed . ;)

There is a danger that this issue is being used as the things aint what they used to be , children need a bloody good slap argument.

We are emerging from a era were children were seen and not hered , did as they were told or else and women did as they told or else. It is a history of thousands of years in which Men ruled and children and women were largely adjuncts under their control. This "patriarchal" power as resulted in abuse and violence being allowed to be perpetrated against children and women for years.

We are twenty odd years in to a new equality ideology. At my children's school they are taught from a very early age that no one has the right to touch them without their consent from a very early age not even their parents. If you give people new freedoms it is not surprising that some people abuse them . The inability to give people a clip round the ear is not responsible for the social decline we are witnessing . We are measurably better of than the 60's and 70's , when the male in authority giving you a clip round the ear was probably the same one who was buggering your less cheeky mate of an evening .

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I'm with DQ on this one. The kid...is a kid. The manager is a responsible adult. Annoying as the kid's behaviour is, the manager should be able to deal with it without breaking the law. It's up to adults to lead by example. CCTV in the doorway would have it fixed pretty quickly. Can't help feeling that this is a typical Sun story - a replay of easy prejudices with only the half the facts and little perspective.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Don't buy the Sun - it is owned by (EDIT) Murdoch.

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Sorry Doc, the Sun is owned by Rupert Murdoch. I only buy the Sun for its Horse Racing coverage. My original feelings on the opening post were to be sorry for the shop manager. I know we are past the days of 'clipping a kid round the ear' but how is this 13 year old to learn. You say he is "just a kid" savvypaul but he is 13 and should know right from wrong. DQ you say the male in authority was most likely buggering a youngster in the 60s-70s, has this stopped in todays world, I think not.