Am I too Old Fashioned.

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Am I too Old Fashioned.

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

This is my point "Good parents make good children control it, bad parents let you suffer from it" as posted before. It is the ones who have no control who need to be controlled. Back in my day, yes you got the cane at school, but in a way it was a badge of honour for your relationship with the other kids, it was fine. BUT you didn't mess with a policeman, he had real authority and a pair of big heavy boots. I know of no case where young teenage boys were harmed by the police, they didn't need to, a look and their presence was enough, we lost this in the 70's, when schools and society went all left wing (needed but too far per usual). Older teenagers and young adults were known to get a taste of the boot if they needed it though.

Those boots, like army boots, you could hear them coming. The police in those days were very much organised like the army, and they recruited from ex army.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Whether I am a good parent is for others to judge , my point that it is difficult to a be any kind of parent for a lot of children because their material conditions and lack of resources .

You and many of the others were brought in a different world in which there was a sense of community and hope for the future and indeed the policeman would have been part of the community . That is no longer the case , we have a culture of individualist nihilism were people take what they want and the sod the rest and those a the top are increasingly storing societies resources for themselves and pulling up the draw bridge . A county were their is no morality , a county in which MP's can spend £100,000's of taxpayers money on maintaining a luxurious lifestyles whilst voting for a reduction in income support , a country in which 4000 people told they are fit for work and ordered back to work , die within a month . A county in which the only responsibility is to yourself and your bank balance , a country so full of bullshit and hypocrisy by those in power that disrespecting property in Dominos is the least of our problems .

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

I guess the answer, like so many other things, lies somewhere in between. I don't believe it is necessarily rich or poor back grounds, just good parenting. When I was a kid my mother never went to work, always there when I came home from school, I was very rarely hit, even though I did some pretty bad things, but I got a good grounding in behaviour and work ethic. This seems lacking today from parents, school and the work place. Yes I do know there are exceptions.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Experience of the past is of no relevance , neither is recreating the past . It is a completely different world from the 60's and 70's . If you tried 60's and 70's parenting on todays children they would laugh at you or they would be taken off you . You cannot go back by increasing fear .

work ethic is being undermined by the absence of morality , community and fairness , any working class kid who believed in the work ethic would be a moron , "why should I work my arse of for minimum wage on a zero hour contract" for a boss who is a multi millionaire and treats me like shit .

We have gone from Dixon of dock green to NWA "Fuck the police" and there is no way back .

antonio66

I would have thought good parenting skills, whether from the 60s/70s would still be good parenting skills today. Not all parents from years ago instilled fear into their children, mine and many friends certainly did not. Just for info purposes I was born in 1956, in Grimsby which would have been classed as a brown collar town today.

antonio66

savvypaul wrote:Police won't pursue an investigation where there is no hope of obtaining evidence. Get Dominoes to install CCTV.
Popped in my local Dominoes today, they do have CCTV in store, with a large sign advertising the fact.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

The CCTV is a proportionate mitigating action to treat the symptoms of a much wider issue. DQ cogently addresses the wider issues, imo.

The manager chose to treat the child's behaviour as personal to him. It isn't.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

antonio66

The manager chose to treat the child's behaviour as personal to him. It isn't.

How do we know that, it could have been racist.

antonio66

DQ cogently addresses the wider issues, imo.

Of CCTV or child/parenting issues?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I remember my father saying "I am too old for this world now", I wonder when I will say it, getting closer. In many many ways we are not getting better.