Grenfell Tower hearing.... The judge?

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
kimangelis
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Grenfell Tower hearing.... The judge?

Unread post by kimangelis »

Hello all.

There's a great deal of hoo-ha about the ex-judge appointed to this investigation. Claims of not being fit as he's not of the people nor slept in a high-rise. I heard a very convincing argument in his favour this evening on R4. About his independence, professionalism and clarity. Personally I feel he's right for the job.... and I'm no supporter of the establishment per se.

Your thoughts?
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Grenfell Tower hearing.... The judge?

Unread post by savvypaul »

There is also the question of whether an inquest would be better than an inquiry:

What is an inquest, how is it different to a public inquiry, and why are Grenfell fire victims calling for one?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

The problem with such jobs is you are on a hiding to nothing. Judges are chosen because of their studied impartiality. There is no such thing as an "establishment" judge. Their job is to interpret what the government wanted from the law.

Thus, they are necessarily remote and studious. Most of the top legal minds I have met (and I've met a few) have minds like razors. They cut to the point immediately, they can absorb huge quantities of information and make logical sense of it. NEVER underestimate these guys. They are a breed apart - which is what the objectors are getting at (probably to get the outcome they want!).
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

savvypaul
Great Britain

I am in the hi-fi trade

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

I'm bloody fed up listening to the protesters and even some of the victims that appear on TV. I think they likely have been hijacked by left wing activists such as momentum that support Corbyn. His allegation a week ago at PMs questions suggesting ''Austerity' caused the fire brought me close to putting a boot through the TV. There is no doubt that the judiciary are impartial and not influenced by politicians as proved in the Brexit row. We now have people refusing accommodation of decent standard because it's a mile away from their family or kids school. They have to get real as there is little spare accommodation in London especially in an area where you have to be a millionaire to afford property. Actually they are appearing to show themselves up as freeloaders that expect to be pandered to at any cost by the state. We have of course seen people who want to cause a fuss in the media or represent some cause with a wider agenda. Doubt that is the view of most people sadly affected by this tragedy.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Classicrock wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:59 pm I'm bloody fed up listening to the protesters and even some of the victims that appear on TV. I think they likely have been hijacked by left wing activists such as momentum that support Corbyn. His allegation a week ago at PMs questions suggesting ''Austerity' caused the fire brought me close to putting a boot through the TV. There is no doubt that the judiciary are impartial and not influenced by politicians as proved in the Brexit row. We now have people refusing accommodation of decent standard because it's a mile away from their family or kids school. They have to get real as there is little spare accommodation in London especially in an area where you have to be a millionaire to afford property. Actually they are appearing to show themselves up as freeloaders that expect to be pandered to at any cost by the state. We have of course seen people who want to cause a fuss in the media or represent some cause with a wider agenda. Doubt that is the view of most people sadly affected by this tragedy.
Being able to keep your kid(s) at the same school(s) and still being able to practically and affordably get to work...sounds more like pragmatism than activism. In any case, given what they have experienced and witnessed...
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

kimangelis wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:14 pm Hello all.

There's a great deal of hoo-ha about the ex-judge appointed to this investigation. Claims of not being fit as he's not of the people nor slept in a high-rise. I heard a very convincing argument in his favour this evening on R4. About his independence, professionalism and clarity. Personally I feel he's right for the job.... and I'm no supporter of the establishment per se.

Your thoughts?
The inquiry is completely controlled by the government: terms, scope, appointments. Amounts to the government choosing how much or how little of it's own actions and failings to investigate. The judge has effectively said the same.
I am in the hi-fi trade

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

And does that not reinforce his impartiality? You can't have it both ways!
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

savvypaul
Great Britain

Who is trying to have it both ways? Re-read my post...
I am in the hi-fi trade