Boom and Bust

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Boom and Bust

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Everyone seems to say that boom and bust is a bad thing, that the problems associated with the bust are not an acceptable price for the boom. Well I am not so sure, I am starting to disagree. It seems to me everyone of the large growth periods in wealth has left a legacy of progress (I agree at a cost), yes I know it is not evenly distributed, but that might be an asset if you look at human nature.

My brain is just beginning to get a handle on this as my heart is naturally very negative. Firstly if a human thinks he can stuff another and get the better of him no matter what he says publicly most will do it. Secondly if they can be made more wealthy and comfortable and eligible to better breeding partners (genetic prerogative) they will do it. Greed is built into our genetics. So as part of our nature we (most) will go for it, we will gamble, we will chance the prize. So a bubble is created, and as we all know all bubbles eventually burst, BUT that just breeds the growth of another bubble - history has proved this over and over again, and we are now inflating our new bubble. Fantasy currency like Bitcoins is an obvious example, we are constantly looking to create new bubbles.

So why not let it just happen and take the down with the up.

Just saying!

kimangelis
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Re: Boom and Bust

Unread post by kimangelis »

I feel you're 'just saying' wrong. One, I don't feel greed is a part of our genetics, nor can it be. There's no gene for greed! Additionally I don't agree that a human will necessarily want to stuff, and therefore and (presumably) gain by that. Altruism will always out. That is selfishness may win in the short term, but NEVER in the long term. We seem to be bouncing from crisis to crisis, but that will allways be outweighed by the underlying principles of humanity which sets us apart from the animal kingdom (and Essex).
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Of course there is a gene for greed otherwise it wouldn't exist. Everything has a Yin and a Yang, you are Yin person, good for you, but don't expect others to be like you. They can choose to be like you but put in medieval terms the devil is always behind you waiting.

You are doing it without realising it, every time you earn a wage or make money from investment or sell something you make you are taking that from someone else. Even the system is based on it, it cannot function without inflation, and inflation is systematic theft!

The development of man has been entirely based on self, the development of every single animal and plant has been based on genetic promotion and survival. It is the #1 genetic program.

In the middle ages the agrarian revolution created crisis, every 30 years there has been some crisis big or small but between there has been growth and progress, you want to go back to the Black Death, or life expectancy of less than 40 years. So if the crisis's have been so disastrous how has that progress happened.

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Of course there is a gene for greed otherwise it wouldn't exist.
Human behaviour is also influenced by culture as well as genetics. Its unlikely that liking trad jazz (for example) is genetic).

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

In the UK post ww2 decades, cycles of boom and bust have often been started by political decisions; such as pumping money into the economy in the year leading up to a general election...then raising interest rates and taxes as inflation goes out of control and balance of payments downturn becomes critical. Greed for votes and reliance on collective stupidity / indifference.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Lurcher300b wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:47 am
Of course there is a gene for greed otherwise it wouldn't exist.
Human behaviour is also influenced by culture as well as genetics. Its unlikely that liking trad jazz (for example) is genetic).
Obviously not that specific, but reacting to, liking, and needing music is.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Remember I am thinking out loud !

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Re the proposition of boom and bust being good for us...maybe, if progress can only come at the expense of inequality and other 'collateral damage'.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Things (and people) often have to be broken for other things to be created / built. In nature the same happens.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

We (life) wobbles forward - two steps forward, one step back. A wobble to the left off the path followed by a stagger to the right, we even fall over occasionally.