Black Friday

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
kimangelis
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Re: Black Friday

Unread post by kimangelis »

Realistically I feel you won't be able to attract younger people. When I was at university (as a mature student) some 30 years ago, I was unusual in that I had a hifi albeit mid-fi. Most students had a tape deck, radio etc etc. Now it's not so different except the perceived quality has improved.

My daughter (20) listens to a lot of music but refused an offer of a hifi (was going to be an NVA 10wpc amp and some half-decent speakers). Instead she listens to an ipod (or similar) via headphones, in the car or via a docking station. When visiting at her ballet school in Argyll, not one of the students had a pair of speakers, let alone an amplifier. Daughter visits and enjoys the music (and blu-ray) through my system, but would never I feel want to go down that route of hifi exploration. Shame but probably true.

It's more mature (or less immature) people who perhaps might be the target. Those who have been weaned on mp3 et al, but appreciate music enough to explore more widely. Suggest target is 30+ via music magazines etc. Trying to change the norms of the young is probably a waste of time.
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Since when did young women ever own hi-fi systems? It was an almost exclusively male activity in my youth. Anyway they don't lend themselves to student accommodation.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

kimangelis
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

Rubbish about young women having hifi systems. Almost every girl I knew back then had some sort of reasonable system.

No they don't lend themselves to student accommodation, which is partly my point. What are we trying to acheive here exactly?
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

The likely 'loanees' could include;

Existing hifi owners looking for a 2nd system for office, study, 2nd living area
Owners of high-efficiency speakers - e.g. Klipsch Heresy - looking for affordable and musical amps
Curious / open minded enthusiasts attracted by the NVA ethos
Those looking to 'downsize' without losing musicality
Enthusiasts organising bake offs
Enthusiasts buying gifts for their 'grown up' children
Those who enjoy combining modern with classic / or those who want to turn a computer audio set up into a full system - smartphone / tablet to dac to pre
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

Every hipster I know uses FB and have something they think is HiFi ( age from 25 to 65 ) so that's one possible target
with addition of most of them believe vinyl is the new god so convincing them to use phono stage is possible
although but might be tricky as some TT they use comes with build in USB...

Students I don't know but I know a couple of professionals that rent a room in London (and go back to their homes over weekend)
another ideal client

bedroom setup made of P20 + A20 and some nice bookshelfs will pass test of almost every wife I know ( some will even think it looks sexy ;] )
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

savvypaul wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:31 pm The likely 'loanees' could include;

Curious / open minded enthusiasts attracted by the NVA ethos
That is me or i like to think it is. I found NVA / HFS through trawling the web and i liked RD's rants on pfm back in the day. I grew weary of the usual bollocks and wanted some fresh air - found it here and the music as well. I remember reading Richard's articles on keeping circuits simple and getting rid of as many components as possible. That and the doc mods is what hooked me. Oh and the complete lack of bollocks and slurp on here. A breath of fresh air.
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

If a few members had stood up for me back then with all the abuse I was getting perhaps I would have survived there.

karatestu
Great Britain

Sorry Doc. If i knew then what i know now i would have done. But being very new to hifi and diy audio back then, i was easily intimidated by the very vocal
so called experts who laid into you. I was a no body who nobody found interesting enough to reply to. I am the opposite of you doc in the respect that i hate confrontation in any form.
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I don't enjoy it, I just wont be told I am wrong when I know I am right, and if someone throws shit at me I throw bigger lumps back. That is all it is about. Basically I am banned because I and NVA have been proved to be right, so if you want to shut up the piano player you take his piano away, BUT I started my own one, they cannot cope with that, so this forum also became somewhere they had to shut up.

It is a cartel they wish to have as their own little ego set up. They all boast about numbers of posts and members, even though at Wigwam it is now fantasy. What do you think the nonsense threads at AoS are about, one word - three words - anything you like - all crap nonsense to make it seem the forum is busier than it is = forum fraud. All to get recognition from the bots and spiders to get more members and momentum. TonyL and PFM doesn't need that nonsense because it was in early, it got natural momentum, same with Wigwam that the new owner has mostly thrown away.

karatestu
Great Britain

The bake off at MCRU seemed to bring a few new members to the forum. Maybe savy's and the other bake off's will bring in a few more new members. Its a shame the bake offs on AOS are deliberately excluding nva.

Are people having bake off's over at whathifi forum ? Is there potential there ? Would seem like a good idea to get it going at a seemingly large forum like that.
DIY FREE ZONE