General banter

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Alfi
Wales

Re: General banter

Unread post by Alfi »

Andy-831 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:23 pm Seems everyone has Flu :evil: :grin:
Youngest Granson (17months) has a chest infection and it's pitiful to witness, though he's a little better today than yesterday.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

F-in physio and learning to stand

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Alfi wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:21 pm I've just been rebuilding the power supply of my second Marantz CD73 which has started to give trouble (notorious for dry joints) and I found one too! As I had most here I've replaced a number of the PS caps, I just need a few more which should arrive mid week to complete, so it should be rocking again soon - we'll see?

Alfi.
Didn't know you were a fellow soldering iron addict.
DIY FREE ZONE

Lotus Seven S
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Lotus Seven S »

Tracking says delivery tomorrow.
I'll drink to that!

:guiness;

S.
I am not a number. I am a free man

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Been pressing buttons at ebay. Just sold the PL71 and its been collected, so what do I do :oops: buy another one. But this is for nostalgia reasons. My first serious TT was a Pioneer PL12AC with Shure M55E, before that just cheap Garrards and BSR. Now I know some of you who don't know are making faces, but the PL12AC was the real one, solidly built, solid wood plinth like the PL71 with a good arm, they changed it to the PL12D which was cheaply made with a poor arm, and that is the one you see loads of for sale. The 12AC is like hens teeth, and at the price I have got it for the TT is nearly free as the M55E is making very good second hand prices now.

Oooo! I do like a bargain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfm1BWTfxO4

Lotus Seven S

Unread post by Lotus Seven S »

F-in physio and learning to stand
Are you swearing or was that the character the nurse gave you? :grin:

Like Avis - you must try harder..... and then maybe you will get an E-in physio (assuming she is 35 years old).

S.
I am not a number. I am a free man

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:49 pm Been pressing buttons at ebay. Just sold the PL71 and its been collected, so what do I do :oops: buy another one. But this is for nostalgia reasons. My first serious TT was a Pioneer PL12AC with Shure M55E, before that just cheap Garrards and BSR. Now I know some of you who don't know are making faces, but the PL12AC was the real one, solidly built, solid wood plinth like the PL71 with a good arm, they changed it to the PL12D which was cheaply made with a poor arm, and that is the one you see loads of for sale. The 12AC is like hens teeth, and at the price I have got it for the TT is nearly free as the M55E is making very good second hand prices now.

Oooo! I do like a bargain.
Agree on the PL12-AC, but the EARLY PL12-D's were fine and with beautifully set tonearms I remember. I forget how many thousand an hour they were making at their peak, but they sold thousands a week in the UK over a two year period, the quality started to decline (noisy motors and sloppy bearings) and like everything else, the bubble burst for well made not-too-expensive Japanese sourced HiFi when VAT went up - the beginning of the end and the beginnings of mainstream Japanese quality progressively declining on UK imports I recall. Surely similar things were happening worldwide, or were specific less good products made 'just' for the UK market? I do appreciate the jap 'Top End' never went away, but we seemed to see less and less of it and I don't think Linn and Naim were everything to do with it either, but I may have my blinkers on in suggesting that.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The 12 AC arm bearings were better and the arm more solid generally. The other thing is the quality of plinth, solid, not chipboard as in the 12D. You can tell by weight per usual. Belt drive TT are always less weight than a DD, but this comes in a 6.5kg. Always buy TT by weight.

I may keep it, that will remain to be seen by the reaction of the boss to another TT after nagging me to get rid of one "how many turntables do you need". But M55E is a keeper, I have wanted one for my collection for a while, waiting for the right price.

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

But you never listen to vinyl now Doc, all internet radio is what you keep telling us.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I will, I will - and for shows and dems if I ever do any, PLUS I can get a phono stage tested and working without ever plugging it in a TT but if I am looking to try something new or there is something that needs music to show then of course I have to have a TT. I got the G99 made up with two arms as I have to have both MM and MC available. BUT the G99 has an annoying earth hum I have to sort which will take time and rewiring. I think I will keep the G99 (when sorted) for shows and to use at impress type things and use the PL12AC for general production work. It is just so simple to use as you can see from the video, minimum of faff.