Proud of you lot

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Proud of you lot

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Ha! you wait until you are 70, it has nothing to do with tea. I think I am a four times a night man now.

Andy-831
Great Britain

Unread post by Andy-831 »

Well that's something to look forward too (4 times a night). Thanks for that Docs.
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Longdog Audio Quartz Garrard PSU.
Longdog Audio Phono stage (MCj1)
Digital
NVA BMU.
Innuos Zen / Caiman Seg and Dorado
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Bel Canto Set 40, or LDA 300B Set Monoblocks
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.
Tannoy ST100 Supertweeters

eagwok33
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by eagwok33 »

Thanks Doc and all, it is a great Forum for sure!
Norbert

Tubes and Vinyl rule, Music rocks! :icon-wink:

eagwok33
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by eagwok33 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:34 am Ha! you wait until you are 70, it has nothing to do with tea. I think I am a four times a night man now.
Yeah, getting very close to 60, I can understand what you're saying ;-)
Norbert

Tubes and Vinyl rule, Music rocks! :icon-wink:

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:58 pm I am proud of you lot, recently this forum has become what I hoped it would be, honesty, good people, good knowledge, no over inflated egos, a sense of humour, no smut, internal forum conflict controlled, intelligent discussion of all things, not only hi-fi, as a vehicle for those being censored by other forums, for those banned from other forums. This forum is way ahead as a tool for enthusiasts and for simple entertainment and education than any other hi-fi forum I frequent to read (apart from Audio Talk for DIY).

:clap:
I very much go along with this, HFS is head and shoulders ahead of any other hifi forum and the only reliable source of advice, the Doc on most things hifi and others on the digital side of things. On PFM I feel that I am behind enemy lines, but I like having a poke at the brainwashed zombies who have blown their cash on second rate over hyped kit and accused me of being deaf, after my first post about the LP12. I am on thin ice but am still there. I lasted all of three days on Wam, the powers that be taking exception to my comments on the “real review” of the 19K Linn streamer and suggesting that NVA should exhibit at Harrogate 2018.

My experience at AOS sums up Marco. After some months I was prohibited from posting, to all intents and purposes banned, for making derogatory comments about AOS on HFS. This was an outright lie. My ban immediately followed comments I made on AOS about the Arkless phono stage following the bake off against NVA and serious competition. Not that long afterwards Arkless was banned from AOS - the hypocrisy of the man! I used a different user name and he was not aware I was a member of HFS, it was the comments about the short comings of the Arkless which resulted in my ban. Months previously I had stirred things up by posting the Wam trade document on AOS following Marco’s falling out with the Wam moderators. Pfparselickhifinutt removed my posts, but I was not banned.

I have been exposing and taking the piss out of the rip off merchants on other forums, especially WasWam, and will continue to do so. I have a bit of a history, in 1980 a letter I had published in Popular HiFi caused Ivor to expode!

Most importantly HFS introduced me to NVA. I had not even heard of NVA previously and I am pretty sure there must be many other music lovers, as opposed to compulsive box swappers, in the same situation. I started with the BMU and was impressed by the difference it made. Not only was the SQ consistent, but there was an overall improvement. Speaker cable was the logical next step, because if I was to buy NVA amplifiers it would need to be in place first. I went for the LS6 and it was well worth the price. I was aware that speaker cables had an effect, but not to this h extent. When B stock A80s were up for grabs I jumped in, buying a P50 SA and SSP Mk 2 at the same time. Everything reported in the reviews was true. I now had a sound far better than anything I experienced before. I was lucky in that a returned Phono 1 soon came up for auction. This brought my secondary source into play. I was not aware vinyl could sound so good.

After 40 years of point and squirt I was more hesitant about NVA speakers than the amplifiers. The 30 day return option was the deciding factor and I bought the Cube 3s. This turned out to be the biggest wow factor of all. I was knocked out by the size and scale of the sound which seems to be coming from beyond the room. TIS has been added with the SSP Mk2 connecting the Phono 1 to the P50 SA. I have LS2 on order for the second system in the bedroom. Whenever I have needed advice prior to a purchase the Doc has promptly responded on the forum in terms which are not too technical and not containing sales pitch bullshit. I don’t think you will get this from any other manufacturer.

I have never been a box swapper and won’t become one but for a year, after discovering NVA, I made an exception. I was not aware that a great sound can be achieved at sensible prices. The equipment which was previously in place has been sold and I have a sound which is beyond my wildest dreams. My unexpected early retirement is giving me more time to enjoy it, although I will have the time to be away a lot more next year. I have an almost infinite library at my disposal with Tidal HiFi and am enjoying albums I never bought in the 70s and 80s. I am also branching out and have been playing some Motown. There is not much since around 1990 which does anything for me, apart from the classic established bands who are getting fewer and fewer.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

The stroke as meant I've stop drinking in excess. A plus factor is that I can sleep alnight. Buggered if I got the best deal

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

CN211276 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:42 pm
I have been exposing and taking the piss out of the rip off merchants on other forums, especially WasWam, and will continue to do so. I have a bit of a history, in 1980 a letter I had published in Popular HiFi caused Ivor to expode!
Now there's a dilemma for film classification - an exploding Tiefenbrun.

Comedy or horror? Either way it would be good to see :lol:

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Simon Hickie

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

Yes, this is the only hifi forum I bother with now. I particularly like the Doc's approach to DIY i.e. try it for yourself and see what happens if you want to learn anything. It's a welcome antidote to the modern spoon-feeding mentality where people want to be told what's best and what they should buy.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Alfi wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:08 pm
CN211276 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:42 pm
Now there's a dilemma for film classification - an exploding Tiefenbrun.

Comedy or horror? Either way it would be good to see :lol:

Alfi.
My letter and Ivor's response can be found via this link. It is on the 11th page of the PFM thread.

http://www.hifisubjectivist.org/viewtop ... d6#p136791

At the time I was not aware of the stranglehold the Glasgow mafia had on dealers.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

My word, he does'ny like any form of criticism does he? He appears like a spoiled child who always had everything his own way. The LP12 (AR/RD11/TD150 ) can be made into a nice TT, but let's be fair it's not the Holy Grail.

What concerns me with Linn is that they mistakenly believe only they can "improve" the LP12, contradicting proven improvements as hifi and unmusical, ha! Until that is they are backed into a corner when miraculously but only when ahem "designed correctly" a solid connection between sub-chassis and arm-bordd is the best thing since sliced bread, the sheep believe them without question and lash out thousands ££££'s.. So Linn are quite happy to rest on their laurels until proven wrong. Charaltans! Why, if the LP12 were so bloody unassailable when released did it require a constant stream of "upgrades" other than to make Ivor pot's of dosh?

I firmly believe the hi fi press were (and are still are) browbeaten by IT and Linn.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.