Darts

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Re: Darts

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

It’s a great sport and works on several levels. We usually go to the PDC World Championships. I drive and my family don’t drink so we are the only sober spectators in the Pally.

Last year we went to a first round session. By the time the last match started the crowd were so “refreshed” that they were too busy singing to take much notice of the darts. Miss Stemcor the teacher said it was like a wet playtime.

That said is is also gripping sport when the players are going toe to toe. The Cross v MVG semi final was sporting drama. You didn’t have to be a darts fan to appreciate what was happening.

Then there is the regular circuit. We went to a great evening at the Lakesid in Frimley Green last March. Met Phil Taylor, MVG and Bobby George. Had a chat and a photo. How often do you get the opportunity to do this in other sports ? It’s still a people’s game and I hope it never loses its identity.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Does anyone remember Freddie Germans Indoor League, that was my introduction to tv darts. John Lowe, Eric Bristow, Jocky Wilson and co.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Simon Hickie
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

Great post Stemcor. That's the big thing for me with darts: anybody can get started with a £20 set of tungstens and it's still a people's sport. Bobby George (I think) does a numeracy thing with children using darts scoring. In the Catholic faith it is also customary to have a confirmation present when confirmed in the Church. I waited until I was 19 before I was 'done'. My present from my father was a set of darts.

I do indeed remember Indoor League with Freddie Truman. Bar skittles was in it too! I made it to the final of the NAAFI Superstars competition we held at the NAAFI HQ where I worked in Nottingham. The sports were not the usuals though. We had three varieties of darts, plus putting, snooker, bar skittles, cribbage, billiards and dominoes plus maybe a few others.

Andy-831
Great Britain

Unread post by Andy-831 »

It does not immediately sit easily with me being described as a "sport" as there is little if any physical exertion. The skill level however is undeniable.
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Longdog Audio Quartz Garrard PSU.
Longdog Audio Phono stage (MCj1)
Digital
NVA BMU.
Innuos Zen / Caiman Seg and Dorado
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Bel Canto Set 40, or LDA 300B Set Monoblocks
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.
Tannoy ST100 Supertweeters

Simon Hickie

"Sport is generally recognised as system of activities which are based in physical athleticism or physical dexterity", Wikipedia. The physical dexterity side clearly suggests Darts is a sport. SportAccord also concurs and the World Darts Federation is a full member of SportAccord. By the same token, gardening and running with the dog involve physical exertion but are not sports.

Andy-831
Great Britain

Ah! Yes the age old debate, some regard draughts chess and bridge as a sport. I have have difficulty with those also.
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Digital
NVA BMU.
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.
Tannoy ST100 Supertweeters

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

John Lowe, a.k.a. Old Stoneface, was my darts hero. I played with the same flights, same weight short tungsten barrels, copied the throw albeit left-handed, was never much good. Developed my own style of throw and got much much better. And that throw is what earned me the nickname, from all those years ago, of Slinger.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Simon Hickie

Andy-831 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:31 pm Ah! Yes the age old debate, some regard draughts chess and bridge as a sport. I have have difficulty with those also.
No argument from me on that score! What about target shooting with handguns? I put it in the same category as darts and the former is certainly regarded as a sport.

Simon Hickie

slinger wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:07 pm John Lowe, a.k.a. Old Stoneface, was my darts hero. I played with the same flights, same weight short tungsten barrels, copied the throw albeit left-handed, was never much good. Developed my own style of throw and got much much better. And that throw is what earned me the nickname, from all those years ago, of Slinger.
I was also a big John Lowe fan in the old days. However up in Derbyshire he is not that well thought of and allegedly was always happy to take advantage of some poor punter when challenged for money. I always liked the look of his darts, but eventually settled on a 27g Maureen Flowers design. My father threw with 39g brass darts, but at 5' 3" he tended to stay towards the bottom of the board.

Learning down in Kent was a trial too: throwing off 8 ft 6 in with double in and out and no busts.

Andy-831
Great Britain

Simon Hickie wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:55 pm
No argument from me on that score! What about target shooting with handguns? I put it in the same category as darts and the former is certainly regarded as a sport.
Fair point

I suppose with darts part of my problem with it is the environment, with the Darters supping pints (at least in the old days) and the audience pissed up to the eyeballs :grin: just does not seem like a "sport" although I am not denying its extemely skilful.

On the other hand gun competition maybe just seems a lot more serious which is probably just my perception and is likley a load of old :Bllocks:
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Digital
NVA BMU.
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Speakers