How to get more visitors to HFS

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: How to get more visitors to HFS

Unread post by savvypaul »

joe wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:53 am
Aardvark Audio?
[/quote]

A popular tactic in the days of the Yellow Pages.

"Boring - see Civil Engineers'
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Many other forums are trying to deny publicity to HFS. That means we have to do more ourselves to ensure people can find us.
Why?

Never trusted the need to make a forum have more visitors? Whats the goal?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Lurcher300b wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:49 am
Many other forums are trying to deny publicity to HFS. That means we have to do more ourselves to ensure people can find us.
Why?

Never trusted the need to make a forum have more visitors? Whats the goal?
The goal is to ensure that we are visible to people who might enjoy the content here.

Visitor numbers are not the primary goal - just a potential side effect.

No point in deliberately luring people who are not interested...
I am in the hi-fi trade

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Already said in OP.

Forums should be to provide a service. Audio Talk provides a service, not as you had set it up, but it has become a niche forum for DIY, very much under the influence of an *in crowd* who were thoroughly upset by my appearance, you didn't appease them. good for you. This *in crowd* happens here, it is human nature, but I like to think they are just the more regular posters. PLUS we (not just me) are so pissed off with our treatment at the other forums we want to stick it to them for member numbers as well as sticking it to them for lack of bullshit and good advice.

HFS could just be niche forum either for those banned at other forums or NVA users (often the same thing), that would become the pattern we are stuck in. BUT the quality of information provided here along with the quality of members, like you. AND most importantly NO censorship as to subject, only modded by the simple version of debating rules, means we could give even more of a service.

The other thing is NVA, one half of the forum is HFS the other half is NVA. As said the other forums apart from you are effectively banning mention, discussion about, recommendation of NVA, they are trying to strangle it, the way to stop being strangled is to get more air.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Getting people to HFS is only one part of the process. The major part is to actually get those people to stay here, otherwise, all you get is a boost to member numbers and no new activity. Sound familiar?

The term we used to use was making (or building) a "sticky" site.

You need to provide content that people are actually interested in and, to be honest, less conflict unless the majority of people you want to attract are those with an axe to grind about someone or somewhere else, which has sod-all to do with hifi. Ask yourself what people think of now when they think of HFS and decide how you want to change that perception.

1 - Decide on your target audience.
2 - Work out how to appeal to them and how to help them find you.
3 - Decide on the best way(s) to keep them coming back.

Eventually, when the number of members reaches critical mass #3 takes care of itself due to the number of "interesting" opinions and reviews/gear discussions etc. that are propagated across the site by an active membership, not just the same twelve (a number plucked from the air) people. This, in turn, takes care of point #2 and you can add "word of mouth" to your plan for #1 because that will now happen too.

If you're serious about what you want then you need to make a plan, write it down, and stick to it. Doing a bit of this and a bit of that, fiddling with another part, and bolting ideas on willy-nilly will just make a mess. You wouldn't build anything else like that and expect it to work, would you.

Just my £0.02 worth.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Continuation of the meme "Ask yourself what people think of now when they think of HFS and decide how you want to change that perception." WE do not create the conflict, the conflict is inflicted on us, we just respond. If we didn't the conflict would stay the same. What you should have said is "*some* people", they are a small but very vocal minority, far from a majority.

Do you seriously think this forum was created for the purpose of conflict, don't be daft. So your recommendation for a more visited forum is to roll over and let them have no response to their behaviour and lies - over my feckin' dead body!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Change the name to Audio Subjectivist - simple.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

CONFLICT

Again I offer a truce on behalf of the members here. First the problems that caused the conflict should be removed, all created by them. The best start would be to re-instate or allow to rejoin (if they wish) all banned members of this forum to the forums concerned, and in return we will do the same. There will be exceptions like the deliberate trouble makers at Snakeoilaudio, but even they could be given a 2nd chance. Remove bans on this forum and NVA being talked about. Then 90% of the reasons for comment about them here will go away. There will be no motivation TO RESPOND!!

Seeing as all the conflicts were created by them in the first place they have to go first - I will not hold my breath though :whistle:

:epopc:

savvypaul
Great Britain

slinger wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:50 pm Getting people to HFS is only one part of the process. The major part is to actually get those people to stay here, otherwise, all you get is a boost to member numbers and no new activity. Sound familiar?

The term we used to use was making (or building) a "sticky" site.

You need to provide content that people are actually interested in and, to be honest, less conflict unless the majority of people you want to attract are those with an axe to grind about someone or somewhere else, which has sod-all to do with hifi. Ask yourself what people think of now when they think of HFS and decide how you want to change that perception.

1 - Decide on your target audience.
2 - Work out how to appeal to them and how to help them find you.
3 - Decide on the best way(s) to keep them coming back.

Eventually, when the number of members reaches critical mass #3 takes care of itself due to the number of "interesting" opinions and reviews/gear discussions etc. that are propagated across the site by an active membership, not just the same twelve (a number plucked from the air) people. This, in turn, takes care of point #2 and you can add "word of mouth" to your plan for #1 because that will now happen too.

If you're serious about what you want then you need to make a plan, write it down, and stick to it. Doing a bit of this and a bit of that, fiddling with another part, and bolting ideas on willy-nilly will just make a mess. You wouldn't build anything else like that and expect it to work, would you.

Just my £0.02 worth.
I think you have misinterpreted the objective. The aim is to enable more people to be able to find us, and find out what the forum is already about. A lack of search engine visibility acts as a choke on the number of people who are able to find us. We are simply talking about removing that choke by using the correct techniques. Nothing underhand, tricksy or dishonest, just making sure that we are visible.

There is no desire (as far as I am aware) to change the purpose, ethos or rules of HFS. Modifying our views or avoiding the truth to appease a wider audience would go against one of the main reasons for HFS to exist in the first place, imo. Be true to ourselves, if people want to read that, let them find us (and maybe they will join in, too).

The technical actions proposed are not fiddling or willy nilly mess making, they are (basic) best practice that can be implemented quickly and simply.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

It is what it is. Live with it or go elsewhere. HiFi subjectivist is read by people who read forums, the rest do not give a toss about any forum