New Site Title & Description drafts

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: New Site Title & Description drafts

Unread post by savvypaul »

slinger wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:41 pm
savvypaul wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:54 am
CN211276 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:53 am I think music should be included.
It won't do any harm but, in the context of what we are trying to achieve, it won't be of any benefit, either.

People looking for a music forum will not be looking for HFS. Discussion of music makes up relatively little of the content here. There are only 8 threads in the 'music Room' which have been posted to in 2018. 3 of those are the 'standing orders' of 'last Listen', 'Last Live Listen' & 'Obits'). 3 of the other 5 threads have less than 10 replies. That is Audioflat levels of inactivity; and in the way that AudioFlat is not really a forum at all, we are not a music forum. In the last 24 hours alone, however, we have posted to 11 different hifi related threads (and yesterday was relatively quiet for us).

If the balance of the content changes in the future, it will be an easy task to reflect that in the Site Description.
Conversely, attracting people who enjoy music as well as hi-fi would boost footfall in the music room. I would suggest that casting a wider net would be a positive move rather than just trying to attract the type of people who already post here. Exactly what demographic are you aiming to entice?

Alternatively, if you don't want to attract punters who like music and could then be educated on the best way to listen to it then it might be better to close the non-hi-fi forum rooms and concentrate on pure hi-fi here, as the prevailing attitude seems to be against non-hi-fi threads.
The purpose of the Site Description is to reflect the content and purpose that we already have..as created by the members. It would be an error to try to represent something that we are not. If people find us and like it here, great. If not, then what DQ said ;)

Why would we want to close non-hifi rooms? We chat about music, politics, movies, sport,literature, health...and there is no reason not to. Where is this prevailing attitude against non-fi threads?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I'm not quite sure where you and DQ seem to have reached the conclusion that I'm advocating "threads for non-members" but it's not what I was saying I was suggesting that you try and attract new members with less limited interests then equipment alone, and why I asked what your target demographic actually was. I'd still like to know the answer to that question. At least if I know that then I can possibly avoid wasting my metaphorical breath in future.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

savvypaul
Great Britain

slinger wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:10 pm I'm not quite sure where you and DQ seem to have reached the conclusion that I'm advocating "threads for non-members" but it's not what I was saying I was suggesting that you try and attract new members with less limited interests then equipment alone, and why I asked what your target demographic actually was. I'd still like to know the answer to that question. At least if I know that then I can possibly avoid wasting my metaphorical breath in future.
We are not looking to attract. We are looking to accurately describe HFS.

Target demographic = people who would enjoy the existing content of HFS but who don't yet know that we exist. Likely some people who already read other hifi forums, some people who have been banned from other hifi forums, some people who are interested in NVA equipment, some people who have heard of Richard Dunn, some people who want to read more interesting or alternative views about hifi equipment and the hifi industry, some people who would like to attend bake-offs..some people who might think that £130 fuses are a piss take and a rip-off that needs to be called out (to pick a current thread).

The Site Description should find and 'talk to' those people. Up until very recently, other forums did an unwitting but excellent job of creating interest in this place. Now they are deliberately trying to cut that source of visitors off.

So, without changing the content or nature of HFS, have I missed any other specific groups of people?

BTW, is there any one person in the world whose interests are equipment alone?
I am in the hi-fi trade

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

My mistake then, and my apologies. I thought you were actively trying to increase footfall (for want of a better word) across the site. My idea was sort of arse-backwards in that I would attempt to attract a broader base of people who were, if not already aligned with the views here, were at least open to hearing it. The wider net you cast... and all that. I'll stop interrupting.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

savvypaul
Great Britain

No worries bud. As you say, we were at cross-purposes.
I am in the hi-fi trade