Elon Musk

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Elon Musk

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk

So who or what is a genius, by any interpretation this man is one. EVERYTHING that has his design or concept name on it will create the biggest changes to our lives.

Lurcher300b

Re: Elon Musk

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

I find it hard not to be a fanboy. IMHO, anyone who can make this happen deserves a lot of credit.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0-pfzKbh2k[/BBvideo]

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I am very impressed with what he has achieved certainly. What I am not so impressed with was the car in space stunt. Ok, so he's developed the largest rocket since the Saturn V, a vehicle capable of launching 60 tons of equipment into space and what's the first thing he does with it? Dumps a piece of useless human junk into the pristine void of outer space! Hmm. :evil:
Might as well start as we mean to go on I guess.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Lurcher300b

zebbo wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:31 pm I am very impressed with what he has achieved certainly. What I am not so impressed with was the car in space stunt. Ok, so he's developed the largest rocket since the Saturn V, a vehicle capable of launching 60 tons of equipment into space and what's the first thing he does with it? Dumps a piece of useless human junk into the pristine void of outer space! Hmm. :evil:
Might as well start as we mean to go on I guess.
Well, if not the car, then he would have needed to show that he could lift something of equal mass, and show he could launch it in a solar orbit, so it was a lump of concrete or something similar. He also wanted to prove the SpaceX suit they are developing for later manned missions, so the dummy sitting in something was a obvious choice. Given he also makes cars, its a example (IMHO) of something that many find perfectly judged. Having it playing a loop of Bowie and displaying "Dont Panic" on the sat nav was just the icing on the cake. That and a tiny copy of the car + passenger in the glove box for any alien that finds it to take away.

As to the "pristine void of outer space" say what? The car has been launched into the asteroid belt, Pristine I think not. As to the human junk bit, remember that every gram of that car, and you and me, originally came from that void you speak of.

If you want further evidence of his geek cred, they are building a third drone ship, it will be named “A Shortfall of Gravitas”, which along with the first two “Just Read the Instructions” and “Of Course I Still Love You” all names of ships from the Iain M. Banks. books.

Previously he has launched a wheel off cheese as a Monty Python reference.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

You think asteroids are junk?? The car IS human junk. Is it serving a useful purpose? No it's just a laugh.
If he had to prove he could put something into solar orbit then it should have been something to serve a useful scientific purpose or, failing that, be able to return to our own planet to burn up in our own atmosphere. I despair of our attitude I really do - if it ain't fucked up yet let's get on to it right away.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Self publicist

Frasernash
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Frasernash »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:44 pm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk

So who or what is a genius, by any interpretation this man is one. EVERYTHING that has his design or concept name on it will create the biggest changes to our lives.
no one mentions all the thousands of engineers he employs to make it work I agree he is very clever but he is probably aware of the power of using the media to his advantage.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

He is an inventor of principle or a makers of things seem possible when before him they didn't seem so, he motivates, he gives confidence. AND even with a small number under his belt his ability to make right choices is extraordinary. Remember what his first idea was - Paypal. He sold it to Ebay.

Lurcher300b

then it should have been something to serve a useful scientific purpose or, failing that, be able to return to our own planet to burn up in our own atmosphere.
If he had launched a satellite then if the launch exploded on take-off (as it could have done, it was the first launch of the heavy) it would have been a huge waist of money and resources. First launches almost always use ballast. The whole point was to show that he could put that much mass into solar orbit, not that he could just have got it into LEO where it would have re-entered and people would have then complained about burning car falling from the sky.

I suspect at the back of his head is the idea in the next 20 or so years of going and fetching that car back. Or maybe in 100 years when it comes back around for the first time someone collects it and puts it in a museum.

Lurcher300b

Frasernash wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:02 am
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:44 pm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk

no one mentions all the thousands of engineers he employs to make it work I agree he is very clever but he is probably aware of the power of using the media to his advantage.
He mentions them all the time, but yes he is also aware of how to use media to his advantage. You say that as if its a bad thing?

He also understands that the way to get into the media AND get things done is to take chances and make bold gestures, for example the battery system he sold to Australia that he offered to get installed within 100 days (when others said he never would) or it would be free. Off the back of that he is now talking to the Australian government about installing solar panels onto 50,000 counsel houses and hooking them into their grid, providing cheaper energy to the residents and putting power back into the system.