Bloody weather

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Bloody weather

Unread post by karatestu »

I live in North Yorkshire (just) and it is wet here but nothing like the situation in South Yorkshire. We have quite a few members in that area but nobody has commented.

My agricultural and horticultural operations have been seriously affected. Tractors and other machinery will just not travel over the sodden earth and if they do then there will be rutting and damage to the soil structure. There will be much more crop sown in the spring this year than is usual. If it's wet in the spring as well then we are buggered. Will be planting rice :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

CN211276 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:29 am Planning to go racing at Cheltenham tomorrow and now it is in doubt after all this rain. An inspection thisafternoon. Fingers crossed. All this bloody rain put pay to a meeting at Chepstow in the summer when I was on my way.
It is still pouring down and the meeting has been alled off before the scheduled inspection. Looking at things in prespective, from the pictures on the tv, I have only missed out on a day out and probably saved a bit of money.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

CN211276 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:43 pm
CN211276 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:29 am Planning to go racing at Cheltenham tomorrow and now it is in doubt after all this rain. An inspection thisafternoon. Fingers crossed. All this bloody rain put pay to a meeting at Chepstow in the summer when I was on my way.
It is still pouring down and the meeting has been alled off before the scheduled inspection. Looking at things in prespective, from the pictures on the tv, I have only missed out on a day out and probably saved a bit of money.
If it was me i would have saved A LOT of money :lol:
DIY FREE ZONE

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

CN211276 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:43 pm
Well, if it was hurdles racing then at least it means a few more horses might stay alive a bit longer I guess.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

CaterhamKev
Christmas Island

Unread post by CaterhamKev »

The pictures of the flooding look pretty shocking. I feel for those who will have to try and get their homes sorted in time for Christmas.

We have had a lot of rain here in France, but no signs of flooding in the local area.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Very saddened by what has happend to Venice. We had a good holiday there five years ago. The water level did not need to rise by much for this to happen.
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Whilst I have a certain amount of sympathy for the people flooded out in South Yorkshire this week, I can't help wondering what goes through the mind of people when they buy their homes.

Like "Let's buy a house in Fishlake. I wonder if there's a clue in the name?"

Might as well buy a house in a village called Underwater.
Or buy a house in a vilage called Coalmine and then wonder why your home has subsided.

For Venice, building a city on sandy islands in a lagoon is great for maritime trade in the age of sail. But you can't be surprised when it sinks or gets flooded over the course of 100's of years.

Just as for London, if you build a load of houses with a high wood content, crammed closely together, you shouldn't be too surprised if you get a plague one year and a great big fire the next.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Most floods can be prevented with appropriate defences. The River Taff in Cardiff used to regulary burst its banks. In 1979 there was a big flood with scenes similar to what we are seeing now in south Yorkshire. The powers that be decided enough was enough, defences were put in place and there has not been flooding since. The cost is worth it in the long run. It would seem that a lot of the present problems in the UK are to do with peat removal, the use of farm land, altering the course of rivers and a lack of defences. It has always rained a lot.
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Lindsayt wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:06 am Whilst I have a certain amount of sympathy for the people flooded out in South Yorkshire this week, I can't help wondering what goes through the mind of people when they buy their homes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50372839

Pam Webb, who owns a spa in Fishlake, said she bought her property in 2004 and had surveys done at the time.

"There was nothing of any concern raised, Fishlake hadn't flooded in 100 years," she said.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

savvypaul wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:07 am
Lindsayt wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:06 am Whilst I have a certain amount of sympathy for the people flooded out in South Yorkshire this week, I can't help wondering what goes through the mind of people when they buy their homes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50372839

Pam Webb, who owns a spa in Fishlake, said she bought her property in 2004 and had surveys done at the time.

"There was nothing of any concern raised, Fishlake hadn't flooded in 100 years," she said.
I think things have changed since 2004 as mentioned in my previous posts. Also flood defences put in place further upstream have moved the danger area downstream.i
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc