Opinions on how the Government have handled the coronavirus outbreak

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Re: Opinions on how the Government have handled the coronavirus outbreak

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

if you go 99 yrs without one it gets more likely it will happen soon.
Just to be picky,that’s not how it works, The probability that a pandemic happens in any given year is constant, it doesn't increase with time. What you have said is a variation of the gamblers fallacy.
These users thanked the author Lurcher300b for the post (total 3):
valvesRus (Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:57 pm) • savvypaul (Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:01 pm) • antonio66 (Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:57 am)

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

Let's face it - becoming a politician of any colour or persuasion is an invitation to get it wrong. Little wonder with an aggresive press and a skeptical public, there's a lot of spin.

Not a job I'd take on at any price.
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
karatestu (Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:01 pm) • CN211276 (Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:57 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Lurcher300b wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:40 pm
if you go 99 yrs without one it gets more likely it will happen soon.
Just to be picky,that’s not how it works, The probability that a pandemic happens in any given year is constant, it doesn't increase with time. What you have said is a variation of the gamblers fallacy.
I'm quite aware of probability theory but if you continue to go by the maths it will tell you never to prepare for a pandemic. So whatever decision is made is a gamble. No matter what the probabilities you can view it as 'we got away with it till now so not to worry' or 'it's going to happen sometime soon'.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

I'm quite aware of probability theory
Well then you will know that what you wrote was wrong.
but if you continue to go by the maths it will tell you never to prepare for a pandemic.
No it won't, it will allow us to consider the risk (likely hood of it occurring * the potential damage it would cause). That will allow you to decide on what level of preparation. The fact there was planning for a pandemic in place shows what you said to be incorrect.
So whatever decision is made is a gamble.
In that perspective any decision or planning about future events fall into the same category. I don;t see your point.
No matter what the probabilities you can view it as 'we got away with it till now so not to worry' or 'it's going to happen sometime soon'.
Or you could behave like a rational adult.

The rest of you r post was a good one, I was just pointing out the one glaring mistake.

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

The problem with politicians is that they very rarely admit to making a mistake as they think that the opposition will make political capital and the electorate will see them as somehow “unfit” for the post.

I would much prefer to see a politician put his hand up and admit to an error. The current government are trapped in a “we never do anything wrong” mentality and blame everybody but themselves. When the PM said that the best memorial to the murdered MP Jo Cox was to “get brexit done” it showed just how distorted and poisonous our current political system had become.

Like it or not, there is a possibility that cv19 is going to bring about a political reckoning in the U.K. and perhaps other countries. If the media have the guts to keep asking the awkward questions and ask the government for hard evidence to back up what they have said then I suspect that there will some embarrassing moments. However, I’m not holding out a lot of hope for this. The q and a is usually something like :

Journalist A : “How many ventilators have been delivered to hospitals today ?”
Politician : “We are working our hardest to deliver the ventilators in collaboration with our partners. Ventilators are vitally important in the fight against the Coronavirus and that’s why we are asking people to stay at home, only go out once a day for excercise etc...... Next question from journalist B.

Journalist B : “NHS employees are dying from Covid19 and there are reports that front-line medics have been attending to patients with no PPE whatsoever. Is this an acceptable situation ?
Politician : Our NHS is the best in the world offering levels of care that are unsurpassed. There is no evidence that doctors and nurses have caught anything at work. They could have caught Covid 19 from members of their families. Our medical staff work extremely hard but the best way to make sure that the NHS can keep on top of this is for people to stay at home etc..... Next question from journalist c.
These users thanked the author Stemcor1990 for the post (total 6):
savvypaul (Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:36 pm) • slinger (Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:05 pm) • SteveTheShadow (Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:08 pm) • karatestu (Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:31 pm) • CN211276 (Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:02 pm) • Stentor2020 (Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:37 pm)

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Stemcor1990 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:34 pm The problem with politicians is that they very rarely admit to making a mistake as they think that the opposition will make political capital and the electorate will see them as somehow “unfit” for the post.

I would much prefer to see a politician put his hand up and admit to an error. The current government are trapped in a “we never do anything wrong” mentality and blame everybody but themselves. When the PM said that the best memorial to the murdered MP Jo Cox was to “get brexit done” it showed just how distorted and poisonous our current political system had become.

Like it or not, there is a possibility that cv19 is going to bring about a political reckoning in the U.K. and perhaps other countries. If the media have the guts to keep asking the awkward questions and ask the government for hard evidence to back up what they have said then I suspect that there will some embarrassing moments. However, I’m not holding out a lot of hope for this. The q and a is usually something like :

Journalist A : “How many ventilators have been delivered to hospitals today ?”
Politician : “We are working our hardest to deliver the ventilators in collaboration with our partners. Ventilators are vitally important in the fight against the Coronavirus and that’s why we are asking people to stay at home, only go out once a day for excercise etc...... Next question from journalist B.

Journalist B : “NHS employees are dying from Covid19 and there are reports that front-line medics have been attending to patients with no PPE whatsoever. Is this an acceptable situation ?
Politician : Our NHS is the best in the world offering levels of care that are unsurpassed. There is no evidence that doctors and nurses have caught anything at work. They could have caught Covid 19 from members of their families. Our medical staff work extremely hard but the best way to make sure that the NHS can keep on top of this is for people to stay at home etc..... Next question from journalist c.
The usual case of politicians following the lines in their brief. Something I know all about because I used to prepare them for Welsh Government Ministers.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Did Brexit ideology take priority over saving lives?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... g748#img-1
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
CN211276 (Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:00 pm) • Docfoster (Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:16 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Hifi Architect
Great Britain

Unread post by Hifi Architect »

I agree with most of the points made but I think there are a couple of issues missed.
1) the virus was here and active a long time before they thought.
2) if PPE was stock piled 4 years ago on the scale needed all that would have happened was all those elastic bands that hold on the face masks would have broken rendering them useless. All the unused respirators would have seized and not function correctly.
These users thanked the author Hifi Architect for the post:
valvesRus (Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:32 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Manufacturer.
3 Square Audio.
https://www.3squareaudio.com/

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

@CN211276

If politicians follow their brief then I’m assuming it’s to “toe the party line”. In which case who is giving the instructions and are our politicians not allowed to think for themselves ?