Human vanity

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Docfoster
Wales

Human vanity

Unread post by Docfoster »

Mainly mine.
But I am trying to be balanced.

These users thanked the author Docfoster for the post (total 2):
CN211276 (Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:23 am) • savvypaul (Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:48 am)
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Human vanity

Unread post by savvypaul »

Some of the stuff on social media about this issue has been hugely depressing. A pity there isn't a mainstream 'platform' for critical thinking.

On a positive note, it appears that Farage has lost his mainstream platform: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53006006
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

The only way to deal with these issues is democracy at the appropriate level.

Personally I think its a bit unfair judging an 18 century man by 21 century standards.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I think if they had changed the Colston plaque to something more balanced, as had been suggested, it would have satisfied most people.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Docfoster
Wales

savvypaul wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:51 am Some of the stuff on social media about this issue has been hugely depressing. A pity there isn't a mainstream 'platform' for critical thinking.

On a positive note, it appears that Farage has lost his mainstream platform: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53006006
Agreed Paul.
This is yet another issue that plays perfectly to our toxic political climate.
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

Docfoster
Wales

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:18 am Personally I think its a bit unfair judging an 18 century man by 21 century standards.
I tend to agree with this.
I would think once one gets back into the 1800s the vast majority of Britons would have been comfortable with levels of racism beyond that which almost every current living Britain would find unacceptable.

But, I think there is a difference when it comes to people who effectively bought their own legacies with money made from slavery.
I simply can't get away from imagining the contemporary standards of those C18th slaves swilling about in the hull of a boat sailing across the Atlantic. I feel confident that they didn't think to themselves "Well just so long as this is OK under UK law, I'm absolutely fine with it".
Last edited by Docfoster on Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Docfoster
Wales

savvypaul wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:39 am I think if they had changed the Colston plaque to something more balanced, as had been suggested, it would have satisfied most people.
I think you might be right.
But personally, I'd rather see it in a museum with the plaque.
Not in a civic space, but not at the bottom of the dock either.

Docfoster
Wales

I had thought previously how odd it was that Bristol continued to use Colston's name so freely.
Not more than "odd" though.
A bit embarrassing for me really now I've had cause to reflect more closely on the issue.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Coulston was probably mean to working class people, sexist and a snob. He was probably a good chap to his mates and never gave the slaves a second thought.

Had any of us been born in his class at his time, I bet we would have been the same.

I don't live in Bristol my opinion on his statue isn't relevant.

Docfoster
Wales

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:51 pm Coulston was probably mean to working class people, sexist and a snob. He was probably a good chap to his mates and never gave the slaves a second thought.

Had any of us been born in his class at his time, I bet we would have been the same.

I don't live in Bristol my opinion on his statue isn't relevant.
No idea what he was like as a person.
But rest assured Dan, your opinion is always relevant here!

I do agree that on average there is no meaningful genetic difference between us and humans born at any time in the past 200,000 years. So yes, had any of us been born at a different time in humanity's history, and into some human society with different values we would have been shaped by them accordingly.
Moreover, in 100, 1,000 and 10,000 years I'm sure people will look back in shock, horror and revulsion at us. I will piss my pants if a statue of me is ever erected, but if somehow that happens, I will accept that one day it will be vilified, defaced, torn down and chucked in the Gloucester-Sharpness canal when it turns out that by some future standards of course I am actually an inhuman bastard. In fact I will be pretty disappointed if 2020 is the pinnacle of human morality.