Technics SU-V-4X amplifier

All general audio posts go here.
Nigel
Wales

Technics SU-V-4X amplifier

Unread post by Nigel »

Anyone (DSJR) had any experience with a Technics SUV-4X amplifier? Or its siblings within the range. Think they date from the mid-eighties and offer a pseudo class A operation for the first couple of watts, Class AA.
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Pioneer DVD300 / Topping E30 or AAAA5 cd player.
Audio Innovations Series 500
Heco Direkt Einklang
Headphones - Musical Fidelity A1 / AKG K1000

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Technics SU-V-4X amplifier

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

OK and par for the course, but I don't remember sonic fireworks from this era of Technics. The smaller 2x was rated below average in a mid 80's 'Choice.

Technics did make some excellent amps in the early 90's with a solid high quality sound - I think '500' comes to mind for one of them - they had slightly curvy fronts..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technics-SU-V ... 1974155516

I think they went into different marques here, but all had the Gibraltar reinforced resin? bases and the same style as the above and the boiggest from this range had some real grunt to it. Sorry I can't be of any more help here.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Nigel
Wales

Re: Technics SU-V-4X amplifier

Unread post by Nigel »

Cheers Dave. I won one on ebay. I'll see how it goes. Was hoping it would be a cheap and cheerful solution to running my AKG K1000 headphones. As you're aware they connect directly to the amps loudspeaker terminals. I've been happily using a Musical Fidelity A1 but that has developed a lot of dc on the left output so out of action for the moment. I have a class D Bantam Gold, which is fine but not in the same class though.
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Pioneer DVD300 / Topping E30 or AAAA5 cd player.
Audio Innovations Series 500
Heco Direkt Einklang
Headphones - Musical Fidelity A1 / AKG K1000