Sony PS-8750

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
MarkWoody
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sony PS-8750

Unread post by MarkWoody »

Aren't these supposed to be the mutt's nuts, and rare as etc?

In Germany, obviously...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-PS-8750- ... 1596530298

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Sony PS-8750

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

We had a demo one and couldn't sell it until it went cheap in a sale. The fact that it was one of the best turntables (if not the very best) I'd used and heard up to that point doesn't matter :( We were selling several LP12's a week at that point and the 8750 was better. The problem for me looking back is that decks like this would only have a year's production if that, so if a network of dealers really got behind it, it wouldn't make much odds as the replacement would be in the pipeline for the next 'season.'

Loads of really good products only had a limited life - and it still goes on as comments on Stereophile about some 'significant new' Japanese sourced speakers have attracted the same comments. they come, get rave reviews and are really liked, and then they're gone eighteen months later with any hope of spares a very few years after that.

Looking at the one for sale, it's very old memories, but for me, nothing short of a Spacedeck/Acespace would equal it, let alone better the sonic performance of this model (ignoring the beautiful finish and slick operation of the 8750), but obviously, should spares ever be needed, forget it as I don't think many were made, let alone sold in Europe...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

What spares would be needed, what will go wrong.

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote: The problem for me looking back is that decks like this would only have a year's production if that, so if a network of dealers really got behind it, it wouldn't make much odds as the replacement would be in the pipeline for the next 'season.'
Spot on with that comment Dave, one of the things that put me off Japanese gear.
I'm sure that I remember reading something, during the seventies, about Japanese companies chartering ships to dump "last years models" in the sea so that they weren't available at discount.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Don't believe the :Bllocks: it was just another flat earth old wives tale. OK I said the same over top of the range Sony CD players and I say again, they don't go wrong. Find me one that has gone wrong, find mention of a bust one on the web. Switches, LED, PSU components or equiv are all available. The only thing that can wear out or be damaged is the main bearing, now have a look at it and think again.

jayman67

Unread post by jayman67 »

oooooh i want one!!
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

OOO I want your PLC-1700, but you can keep the arm :mrgreen:

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

Bet you could sell your Pioneer on here to help fund the purchase. :lol:

jayman67

Unread post by jayman67 »

he he food for thought there :grin: tempting but im happy with what ive got.........for now :grin:
i wonder just how much better it is compared to the higher pl models?
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Its not. It is on a par with my PL71, so if yours is better than that don't bother.