Chapter and Verse on Valves

All general audio posts go here.
Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Re: Chapter and Verse on Valves

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Just did some sim's with a pair of 300b's

Signal Voltage, AC current (ma, p/p), DC Current (ma)
10, 3, 50
20, 13, 55
30, 32, 64
40, 59, 80
50, 80, 90
60, 120, 100
70, 150, 120

Graphing those gives curves with no obvious A->AB-B transition point, but is related to (as expected) the power into the load.

Dave Cawley
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Dave Cawley »

Fascinating, so in my book that is truly Class AB and not Class A at all !
"if it measures well and sounds good, then it is good" : "if it measures badly and sounds bad then it is bad" : "if it measures badly and sounds good, then it could be improved" : "if it measures well but sounds bad then it is bad" © Dave Cawley

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Marco had an on going argument with me about his amp for weeks insisting it is class A, not agreeing to disagree again was one of his reasons for booting me. He sees people insulting him when they tell him he is wrong, and even proving it - the man will not back down. The conversation :roll: reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o

alfer

Unread post by alfer »

You could meet him at Scalford along with other members of his Klan. A program on BBC4 last night brought him and his mafia to mind, the Klu Klux Klan and the deep South. Nasty people who expected to own people....
AtoZ

Lurcher300b

Dave Cawley wrote:Fascinating, so in my book that is truly Class AB and not Class A at all !
Yes, anything can be in class A if the signal is small enough assuming ther eis no gap and both devices are not shutoff at idle, that would not work for a audio amp as its on the edge of C. For the classes to have meaning it must relate to full power condition. IMHO, the class A or B stigma is back ported into valves from solid state. You can say for certain, for example, that a emitter follower SS amp with +- 20v rails, can only be in class A with a 8R load if the idle current is more than 2.5A. Its can't leave A.

Dave Cawley

Unread post by Dave Cawley »

Lurcher300b wrote:For the classes to have meaning it must relate to full power condition.
Exactly, and hence it's Class AB and not Class A, this is fundamental and thanks for the results.
"if it measures well and sounds good, then it is good" : "if it measures badly and sounds bad then it is bad" : "if it measures badly and sounds good, then it could be improved" : "if it measures well but sounds bad then it is bad" © Dave Cawley

Vlad_Dracul

Unread post by Vlad_Dracul »

Lurcher300b

Yep, that makes it look nice and simple, but what happens if you take the class-a example

You get something that looks suspiciously like the class ab example

So it partly depends on the driver stage

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Prompted by this thread I have taken the time to read the pros and cons of valve amps on AOS .

I am amused at Marco's inane interjections and his pathetic attempts to find a voice in the thread.

I am very amused at RFC providing me with an exemplar par excellence of my critique that he is a cut and paste theorist who actually understands nothing . Watch with glee as he takes on Arkwright open after 1pm only and in less than four posts is destroyed by the fact arkless does actually know something , :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Well we have chapter and verse on valve amps here with Lurcher.