MC Phono Stage Bake-off

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: MC Phono Stage Bake-off

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Don't we know him by now, it is just a scam, it is him finding an angle to deflect the bake-off result. Both him and Bigman are doing it. The fireybum marketing team (yes back to Fireybum as he is deserving it again).

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Great write up from Max N over at AT.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

When I was bothered about such things a million years ago - late 70's actually - I tried different MC loadings and came to the conclusion that most of the popular MC types then (Denon 103, Ortofon, Dynavector, Supex and Entre) only really changed if the loading dropped below 100 ohms. Higher than this they appeared to be quite happy but lower than 100, all manner of 'stuff' started to happen. Naim and I think Linn, used 470, but 100 was a standard. For right or wrong, I understood that 470 was great for practically everything out there - fit and forget. I also understood that it's NOT the same for MM types, where the resistance and inductance in the coils made them far more fussy for loading as a breed, although some aren't fussed.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

My experience is the opposite. The whole nonsense about loading raised its head with SUTs, and they do need adjustment for the reasons I have explained. MMs I find very consistent even Grado that a lot of people say needs changes, with the NVA stage it doesn't, 47k is fine.

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

Over on AoS Flatty has had the Arkless on home dem, but as yet no write up. Would be interesting how it performed against his JVC built in stage.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I thought he said they were on a par, or maybe the Arkless a bit better, but said the difference wasn't worth buying it.

I sent him email offering for him to hear a real phono stage, but he just ignored me.

herbie07
Great Britain

Unread post by herbie07 »

My impressions
As as newbie, whilst web-browsing Saturday night (after Usain Bolt had lost his 100m race), I came across details of this bake-off and decided to attend as I'm in the market for a new phono stage. I did not make prior contact with anyone nor did I have any knowledge of background history. Also, I did not make any notes at the bake off, so these are recollections of my emotions and a fallible memory.

Walking into the room, there was a glittering array of desirable hifi - Dave and Nick deserve considerable plaudits for making available the very high standard of equipment which contributed to the favourable impressions of the bake off contestants.

So in listening order:-
1) MFA phonostage - blimey, the more you listened the more it disappeared........
2) Firebottle OTP - good, nothing to criticise, look at the price difference (to the first one) great vfm
3) Phono 1 - very similar to 2), maybe slightly livelier (could just as easily have been down to the music chosen) nothing negative, great vfm
4) Akai receiver - worst so far (sorry Lindsay), kinda wooly - having said that I was really pleased to hear it as I beginning to question my hearing (everything sounding so good).
5) Furutech - better than the Akai but behind 2) and 3), impressively flexible component though.
6) Albarry - wouldn't work (head amp not a phono stage)
7) Phono 2 - first kind of wow moment, drew me in, stopped eating the donut, how much?
8) Phono 2 + extra PS - expected a slight improvement - wrong. Second little kind of wow moment, put the donut down, how much more?
9) Firebottle Tron - very good, but 8) was livelier and more engaging.
10) Firebottle Kin preamp (= Vivant phono stage). Very similar to 9).
11) Longdog JFET - doing that disappearing act again, could listen to this for a looong time, probably the best of 2) to 11)?
and a couple of works in progress (Phono 3 + BB and NWA phono) that were very impressive.

Overall - much, much better than I expected, very high standard, great facilities.
Honourable sidetrack mentions - Dave and Nick's TT and Dom's 401 with NWA MC cart - both sounded superb.

Upshot - all things being considered (price, performance, availability etc, etc, etc) I have ordered a Phono 2 and today joined this forum. Richard asked me to write a review, so here it is. :guiness;

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Ta ! good stuff.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Interesting. I have heard Nick's JFET a few years ago and was impressed. It had ability to totally kill some bad surface noise and didn't really sound of anything (notable for anything including valves). Would like to hear this back to back with NVA2. Considering the price difference the NVA is a no brainer. I could have predicted the two top designs without attending though it sounds like the crazy expensive MFA brings some more to the party as it should for that money.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

Bigman80 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:22 pm Have I been moderated again! Sweet Christmas! That joke was funny.

C'mon guys.

I respect the verdict and to be fair, I can see where they are coming from. The Phono 2 was very good. As I said, if I was looking that's what I'd buy.
Bigman has been looking, he's apparently bought a Jolida JD9 rather than the NVA Phono 2 :roll:
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880