MC Phono Stage Bake-off

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: MC Phono Stage Bake-off

Unread post by savvypaul »

Quarknosis wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:57 pm
Bigman80 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:22 pm Have I been moderated again! Sweet Christmas! That joke was funny.

C'mon guys.

I respect the verdict and to be fair, I can see where they are coming from. The Phono 2 was very good. As I said, if I was looking that's what I'd buy.
Bigman has been looking, he's apparently bought a Jolida JD9 rather than the NVA Phono 2 :roll:
Has he found a private seller that gives a 30 day trial and no-quibble refund? ;)

If he bought a Phono 2, Marco & Fireybum would shoot themselves in a suicide pact.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You shouldn't believe a word the man says, he would never buy a NVA. The interesting thing is he must have resigned as Fireybums Shill in chief, so sadly we can't take the piss out of him about it again. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for the fall out.

I know nothing about the Jolida, but there is a planned phono stage bake-off being organised for East London, hopefully he will bring it there, but doubtful as I doubt he could take another ego stomp. Only kidding haven't a clue how good the Jolida is, or is it just not as bad as the Fireybum :lol: :lol: :lol:

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Was the Fireybum phono bad Doc, or just not as good as NVA?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Its all relative, and remember I am biased, but I will try to call it as I saw / heard it. The cheapish new one that Bigman is selling was poor, not as bad as the Arkless one but still poor. The all valve more expensive one that came later wasn't bad, in fact quite good, but not in the class of Nicks efforts or the NVA Phono 2. I am saddened that the Phono 1 didn't go on again as I would put it as competitive to that, but they weren't compared. The cheapish one was pretty naff IMO, so Bigman is right to get rid of it.

Bigman80

Unread post by Bigman80 »

Hi everyone, just popping in.

I bought the Jolida JD9 due to the fantastic reviews I have found and the Mods that were done to it. It also fits in with me trying to be more "hands on" I am currently building a DC blocker as my first DIY project and this phono stage has about 100 pages of mods and tips over on AK. If it suits my future needs I'll keep it, if not it'll be sold.

The FB-OTP MK2 really is very good IMO and from my perception at the bakeoff there was very little difference in performance between that and the NVA1. As in line with every review from the bake off. The FB Tron wasn't in my budget, neither was the NVA2 with extra PSU which I would gladly have bought if it was. One of the main selling point of the Jolida was the fact it incorporates valves in the output stage and this is something I came to realise was important to me. I love valves and I now know that I want them in my system. That's what I took away from the bakeoff.

There isn't a fall out either. Sorry!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

blah blah blah blah

Is this the truth our another version of it, as we have witnessed many variations since the bake-off.

Bigman80

Unread post by Bigman80 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:27 pm blah blah blah blah

Is this the truth our another version of it, as we have witnessed many variations since the bake-off.
I'm not sure what you mean? What I've written is true, as always, Doc. If can tell from the context, there is no defensive undertone either. Just participating as a member of the forum. I called for a truce which I am happy to keep up 👍.

Link to the 6moons review here :-

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/jolida3/phono.html

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Then be consistent with your views, I can read you know, so can others and they are in the archive here and at AoS. I am not in the slightest bit interested in truces. More meaningless bollocks. I post in reply to your post, with your past posts being a reference against it - that will continue, I am only interested in THE TRUTH, and in the case of your posts it seems to be made of elastic. BTW it seems you are even worse when you think it is private, I have had passed to me some serious bollocks and lies, both from repeated phone calls and emails. Where do you get off to warn people not to meet me as I am as bad in person as I am on line, what ever that means.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

savvypaul wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:49 pm
Quarknosis wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:57 pm
Bigman80 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:22 pm Have I been moderated again! Sweet Christmas! That joke was funny.

C'mon guys.

I respect the verdict and to be fair, I can see where they are coming from. The Phono 2 was very good. As I said, if I was looking that's what I'd buy.
Bigman has been looking, he's apparently bought a Jolida JD9 rather than the NVA Phono 2 :roll:
Has he found a private seller that gives a 30 day trial and no-quibble refund? ;)

If he bought a Phono 2, Marco & Fireybum would shoot themselves in a suicide pact.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Eric Shun

Unread post by Eric Shun »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:49 pmThen be consistent with your views, I can read you know, so can others and they are in the archive here and at AoS. I am not in the slightest bit interested in truces. More meaningless bollocks. I post in reply to your post, with your past posts being a reference against it - that will continue, I am only interested in THE TRUTH, and in the case of your posts it seems to be made of elastic.
To be fair Biggy, the Doc has a very valid point. When it comes to consistency, you are sadly lacking. You couldn't post your Huddersfield bake-off finding on AoS any quicker, then when they didn't match the general consensus from other attendees, your opinion changed quicker than Marco editing one of his own posts. :naughty:
BTW it seems you are even worse when you think it is private, I have had passed to me some serious bollocks and lies, both from repeated phone calls and emails. Where do you get off to warn people not to meet me as I am as bad in person as I am on line, what ever that means.
Oh dear Biggy, have you been a naughty boy? Now who'd have thought eh? Is this the same Biggy who didn't even introduce himself to the Doc in Huddersfield, but who is now able to pass comment on his real life persona? Its little wonder nobody outside of AoS take you seriously. This wouldn't be the phantom bake-off whisper by PM of old AoS town? :naughty: :naughty:
"Nobody flounces better, makes me feel sad for the rest
Nobody flounces half as good as you, BigBottyFlouncy, you're the best"
:clap: