Impulse H6

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
savvypaul
Great Britain

Impulse H6

Unread post by savvypaul »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Sale-or-S ... 1438.l2649

I had a good few years with a (much tattier) pair of these in the 1990s. Excellent communicators, if a little 'tinkly' up top. Only sold them because they were just too big for new house.

No wadding, simple 'first order' crossover.

I used them with an Audio Innovations A500 (that blew up and never sounded quite the same after repair) and a little 50w LFD integrated. The former was the recommendation but the latter was imo the better match - less lumpy.

Price is right up there but they do look spot on. Whoever gets them shouldn't regret it.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Impulse H6

BTW I borrowed a s/h pair (£6k new!!) of the Aspara 'modern' version of the H6 from my local secondhand dealer a few years back...nice tone but they got completely lost when the music got busy. All over the place, no cohesion or timing. Much prefer the original.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Simon Hickie
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

A friend of mine has the successor Impulse Lali speakers which I believe are sonically similar. Their particular strength is imaging and soundstage and they work well with low powered valve amplification at modest volumes. I've not heard them with full-on orchestral stuff though which my next speakers must be able to do well. But they do work well with classic rock and especially female vocals. Bass is pretty extended. They need some breathing room too.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I don't like them with NVA amps, they were better with a pair of Class A single ended amps (Lindsays ones), they made the NVA amp sound cluttered, not something i am used to.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:59 pm I don't like them with NVA amps, they were better with a pair of Class A single ended amps (Lindsays ones), they made the NVA amp sound cluttered, not something i am used to.
Yeah, I imagine most got sold / partnered that way. That whole scene got too rich for me. Especially when Audio Note started coating everything in silver and gold. The original H6 had 'something about it' for me (perhaps not difficult to impress as I was mostly flat earth until then)...and I got them dirt cheap as they'd had a hard life.
I am in the hi-fi trade

wiicrackpot
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

I had a pair of H2's, used with a shunt modded WAD KEL84 and then EL34 based pre-power combo,
enjoyed my time with them.
Frank...made me do it.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

I heard them with Quad II's many years ago and that combination sounded nice. I think they like valves.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Simon Hickie

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

Yes, my friend's Lalis are driven by a 300B job.

Ukulele Sam
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by Ukulele Sam »

I had a pair of black H6's back in the 90's, bought them on some sort of deal from K J West One and used them with an Audionote P1se - power amp version of the Oto single ended integrated with single input and passive volume control. Trouble is they were just too large when I moved out to my own house so got left behind with parents to use. Agree they did certain things very well, fast, dynamic and fun with SE valves but did not get on as well with the solid state amp I later tried them with.

Parents still have them stored, very tatty but might dig them out to try if I can source new spikes etc. No way my other half would give them house room now, Cubettes just about make the cut!