Last Live Listen

All music posts here please.
CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Last Live Listen

Unread post by CN211276 »

When I retired a few months ago a present from colleagues was two tickets to see the Tom Robinson band. They knew all about my passion for 70s rock and that I do not buy the physical media anymore. The gig was last night and they were superb.My other half enjoyed it and was not expecting to. The "Power in the darkness" album was played in full on its 40th anniversary along with their other 70s classics. I last saw them in1978 with Stiff Little Fingers, whom I have also seen in recent years, supporting.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

TRB were great back in the day, good to hear they are still on form.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

Richard Thompson, solo acoustic gig at the wonderful Lowry Theatre down on Salford Quays on Thursday night.

As wonderful as ever, and as usual with such a large selection of songs to choose from the set list was unpredictable. He couldn't do a gig without a rendition of Vincent Black Lightning 1952 and Beeswing, but the rest was drawn from Fairport days to his most recent album.

A national treasure without doubt.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Saw W.A.S.P last night. The sound could have been better with vocals being somewhat drowned out, but otherwise it was an enjoyable night. The “Crimson Idol”, probably their best album, was played in full being its 25th anniversary. Blacky Lawless was in fine form and his voice was up to being higher in the mix Explicit early material is omitted from the set now that he has found God.

I can remember when they came on the Hair Metal Scene in the 80s. They looked a bit ridiculous in pictures in Kerrang, but there was musical substance behind the image. I had not seen them since the 80s. Had a ticket to see them in more recent times but had to sell it because of a holiday. Did not want to miss out this time.
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

BillyBones
Great Britain

The very first gig my future wife and I went to together was in 1981, the Maxwell Building at Salford University, to watch Squeeze.

36 years later we went to see Squeeze again last night, this time in Manchester's wonderful Bridgewater Hall. A decent enough gig that really only got going after they'd played the obligatory songs from the new album, and started doing all their old favourites. They were ably supported by Nine Below Zero who again did a decent set albeit miles away from their ferocious 80's selves.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

I saw Squeeze over 20 years ago at the former Cardiff Arms Park Stadium. Not really their type of venue or audience. Seem to remember the short set of greatest hits going down well. Bon Jovi were headlining with Van Halen second on the bill.
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

Toontrev

Unread post by Toontrev »

Up here in the north east we are blessed with some special music venues. I've three favourites and for the first time ever I've been to all three in the space of a week.
First up were London Grammar (indy pop) at Newcastle City Hall, full house, special atmosphere, the singer herself said it was a beautiful building. Following night Brandy Clark (American singer-songwriter) Sage Gateshead which couldn't be more different to the City Hall. Its futuristic looks are not to everyones taste but once inside - it has 2 music halls and both are fabulous, acoustics are tremendous and as with the evening before a sell out. Last up was a spit and sawdust gig at the Cluny in Newcastle, our equivalent to King Tuts Wah Wah Hut in Glasgow. This time it was Jane Weaver (Psychedelic English singer, songwriter, and guitarist.) Again a full house and a great gig. Cant beat live music.

BillyBones
Great Britain

Toontrev wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:11 pm Up here in the north east we are blessed with some special music venues. I've three favourites and for the first time ever I've been to all three in the space of a week.
First up were London Grammar (indy pop) at Newcastle City Hall, full house, special atmosphere, the singer herself said it was a beautiful building. Following night Brandy Clark (American singer-songwriter) Sage Gateshead which couldn't be more different to the City Hall. Its futuristic looks are not to everyones taste but once inside - it has 2 music halls and both are fabulous, acoustics are tremendous and as with the evening before a sell out. Last up was a spit and sawdust gig at the Cluny in Newcastle, our equivalent to King Tuts Wah Wah Hut in Glasgow. This time it was Jane Weaver (Psychedelic English singer, songwriter, and guitarist.) Again a full house and a great gig. Cant beat live music.

I'm a Manc but love going up to Newcastle for a few days when we can. A year or two back we went to see Future Islands up there, I think it was at the O2 Academy. Had a couple of pints beforehand in The Union Rooms.

ps: My favourite pub in the town is the Crown Posada on Side. You probably know it. :guiness;

Toontrev

Unread post by Toontrev »

A couple of good choices there Billybones, so many pubs in Newcastle. The Crown Posada is a proper old boozer, quite the place for HFS folk I'd imagine it full of miserable old gits.

BillyBones
Great Britain

Toontrev wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:54 pm A couple of good choices there Billybones, so many pubs in Newcastle. The Crown Posada is a proper old boozer, quite the place for HFS folk I'd imagine it full of miserable old gits.
Nail on head :grin:

Great choice of ales and it also has an old style Dansette record player behind the bar with a fine array of Jazz and R 'n B LP's to select from.