U.F.O's

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: U.F.O's

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Lurcher300b wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:45 pm Oh, I understand what you are talking about, but however it is just a world view that originated from observations about the world as it could be seen a few thousand of years ago combined with analysis of human neurology. IMHO attempting to make it more than that and being in some way related to the underlying mechanics of the universe is where it becomes spiritual.

"spiritual: Relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things."
These are material things in me, they move so they must be - you still have it wrong. You see you look out and then apply it, I look in and then apply it, then it all makes sense, without the dichotomy of things we would not exist, we also being the universe. It is the reaction between things as they change (decay) that creates everything, duality creates the reaction because they are different to each other and are pursuing the course back to one. This is seen in nuclear reaction and even in chemistry. Without the duality (difference) we have no reality we never were and never could have been.

SteveS57
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveS57 »

Lurcher300b wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:21 am Sigh. I meant a force that is a repulsion version of gravity, not that there are no forces that produce repulsion, clearly electromagnetic is one that does repulse.
Yes that's right Nick, but there are still forces that oppose our gravity.
It been proved that we get lighter when there's an eclipse...
We just don't know how it works yet..
Remember the thread is about ufo's

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Interesting prog on BBC4 last night about it. Part of the Horizon series.

REVIEW

The Lorimer burst. The Kardeshev scale. The Dyson sphere. This Horizon is full of cool technical terms, addressing one of the perennial favourites of popular science – the (so far fruitless) search for extraterrestrial intelligence.

The odds appear to be in favour of there being some kind of technologically capable life on one of the 100 million trillion rocky planets orbiting stars around the universe, but the deafening lack of communications from any of them has become known as the Great Silence.

A well-padded film talks to scientists who have made a career of scanning the heavens – and hoping that passing satellites or nearby microwave ovens don’t mess with their signals.

SUMMARY

The scientists scouring the universe for signs of extraterrestrial life, including the film researchers at the Green Bank Telescope searching for radio signals from 'Tabby's Star', a star so mysterious some scientists believe it might be surrounded by a Dyson Sphere - a vast energy collector built by advanced aliens. The film also features the 2006 discovery by husband and wife team Duncan Lorimer and Maura McLaughlin of an enigmatic signal from space, known as a fast radio burst, and its subsequent explanations.

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

SteveS57 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:15 am
Lurcher300b wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:21 am Sigh. I meant a force that is a repulsion version of gravity, not that there are no forces that produce repulsion, clearly electromagnetic is one that does repulse.
Yes that's right Nick, but there are still forces that oppose our gravity.
It been proved that we get lighter when there's an eclipse...
We just don't know how it works yet..
Remember the thread is about ufo's
AFAIK, the only force that alters gravity is more gravity. I fail to see why there is any confusion why having the moon and sun lined up would reduce the effect of the earth’s gravity. Looks well understood to me:

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/what-gravi ... ar-eclipse

Lurcher300b

The odds appear to be in favour of there being some kind of technologically capable life on one of the 100 million trillion rocky planets orbiting stars around the universe, but the deafening lack of communications from any of them has become known as the Great Silence.
In the 60's the assumption was that any planet that had radio would be sending signals out into space from that point onwards. However that failed to understand the effect point to point radio and data compression and modern modulation. Most of our comms is now either point to point, or uplink to satellite and then the satellite beams a signal back to us. The combination of encryption and modern modulation has meant that the signals we are sending are just about indistinguishable from noise, so even if someone received them, it would not be easy to tell apart from the general background noise of the universe.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Lurcher300b wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:31 pm
In the 60's the assumption was that any planet that had radio would be sending signals out into space from that point onwards. However that failed to understand the effect point to point radio and data compression and modern modulation. Most of our comms is now either point to point, or uplink to satellite and then the satellite beams a signal back to us. The combination of encryption and modern modulation has meant that the signals we are sending are just about indistinguishable from noise, so even if someone received them, it would not be easy to tell apart from the general background noise of the universe.
Which probably explains why we haven't been able to do so. It doesn't mean that the signals aren't there it just means that we can't tell, using an old joke, squak from clutter.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Also why do we expect other life to do things the way we do it. Even in a fixed biosphere like the earth the extremes life has gone to to be different and find a niche to survive in is huge. We may be unique in even caring if other life exists.

I had a desire once to write a science fiction story where the planet itself is intelligent, but like many things I never got around to it.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:43 am Also why do we expect other life to do things the way we do it. Even in a fixed biosphere like the earth the extremes life has gone to to be different and find a niche to survive in is huge. We may be unique in even caring if other life exists.
Excellent point, even if there were another planet identical in every way to this one it might be the Elephants, or the Whales that are the dominant species.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Or Spiders :shock:

Lurcher300b

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:43 am Also why do we expect other life to do things the way we do it. Even in a fixed biosphere like the earth the extremes life has gone to to be different and find a niche to survive in is huge. We may be unique in even caring if other life exists.

I had a desire once to write a science fiction story where the planet itself is intelligent, but like many things I never got around to it.
Bit of a strawman there, depending on the we you are talking about, I don’t think "we" do expect life to do the things the way "we" do. however we do expect that the physical laws are going to be similar.

Re intelligent planets, Solaris is the book that comes to mind, but there are a few others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... ng_planets

if you want a recent film that’s a good look on the problems of communication, I can suggest Arrival.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrival_(film)