P20 / A20 starter pre and power amplifier loan

All things NVA
ArloFlynn
Ireland

Re: P20 / A20 starter pre and power amplifier loan

Unread post by ArloFlynn »

No problem Richard, I will add a review, give me a couple of days.

Cheers, Kevin
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

A review of my short time with the P20/A20 NVA loan system.

First CD’s –

If I have anything new to demo (not happened too often) I always start with one of my favorite albums of all time, ‘’Low’’ – David Bowie
First 4 tracks kick in – ‘Speed of life’, ‘Breaking glass’, ‘What in the world’ then ‘Sound and Vision. Initially each song to my ears is slightly slower than what I am used of. However come the end of each track I am not noticing it. Bass and kick drum are banging away together well which is what makes side 1 of the album for me, so no disappointment there. Bowie’s vocals are slightly back in the mix too, but none the less, still in charge of the music, if you could picture the stage, I would say he is more in with the other musicians. On the Valve system his vocals are more prominent and forward of the instruments, making him stand out perhaps a little more than intended. His voice is also sounding a little sweeter rather than darker. Last time I saw Bowie live (one of his last concerts), I was in row 3 centre mic and he was ‘hangin 10’ most of the time – Very forward.

Next up ‘D’ White Denim
First 3 tracks – ‘It’s him’, ‘Burnished’, ‘Down at the farm’
I love this album, it’s in ya face, full on, looping mental all or nothing guitars, with a splattering of strings and woodwind here or there, however it’s not an album I can sit in front of the speakers and listen to, I normally have to leave the room, turn up the volume and get on with cooking tea or something. It sounds rubbish at low volume and at high seems to lose the musicality and sounds too loud and messy. With the P20/A20 though, I was able to sit and listen, and what a listen, everything was pushed back and positioned into its place, I could pick out the guitars, loops and heavy production work in the mix, it was no longer too ‘loud and in ya face’, but just ‘in ya face’. Cut the descriptive crap, it was a blistering listen, especially ‘Burnished’- poo’d all over any other listen of this album. Top marks. (Should buy it just to hear White Denim as I think they were intended) Everyone else was disappointed though, as they had to get their own tea.

Then Records –
1st up, ‘Low’ Bowie. Side1 - It sounded exactly the same as the CD, which I was not expecting, I really couldn’t detect a difference between the CD and Vinyl.

Next up
‘Never mind the Bollocks...’. Sex Pistols. Side1 – Very easy to listen to, I can pick out the instruments, Guitar, Bass, Drums, making it easier to follow the songs. Again, Johnny’s vocals are back in the mix and more relaxed than usual. This is another album I find it hard to listen to without upping the volume, making my ears bleed. I do have to push the volume on the NVA, but it makes it less loud and powerful and more detailed instead. I found this happened with a couple of other albums I tried.

Lastly
‘Transfomer’ – Lou Reed. Side 1 – I had stopped analyzing by now and just got on and enjoyed the music. It did sound good though, nothing lacking to how It normally sounds.

One thing I think I have learned with listening to the P20/A20 is, what ‘detail’ is. I always thought detail meant more sort of sharp splashy treble with less head nodding, foot tapping rhythm and rocking. Wrong! I think detail is less loudness, more musicality and space, so you can hear the instruments without losing any of the stuff that makes it rock.

The P20/A20 is just great, and stands up well to my system. I will definitely recommend it to a friend of mine who is just starting out. Will I be buying one? No! But that’s because I will be buying an NVA amp further up the ladder.

Thanks

Kevin
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Hello Richard.
Can you email/PM me an address to send the gear to.

Thanks.
Kevin.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Nice review Kevin, i agree with most of what you said. Glad to hear of another NVA convert :dance:
DIY FREE ZONE

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Try Low 'side 2.'

On a standard stereo it just sounds weird (I love it!). On a decent one it sends shivers down your spine with its otherworld beauty......
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Good review. I concur with the comments about detail and space. That is where NVA really scores, along with increased dynamics. I also play Bowie when I have new equipment, Ziggy Stardust. The second and third tracks on side one tell a lot.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Lotus Seven S
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Lotus Seven S »

I think you just converted me to White Denim!

Interesting....

S.
I am not a number. I am a free man

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

OK I am throwing this offer open to Audio Talk, AoS, PFM, Wigwam, Audio Abattoir, and TAS members (no other forums as I don't frequent them), and they don't have to join here. Just email me with your details and your forum name so I can see that you exist in reality. I would still ask you for a review, good, bad or indifferent, it matters not in reality as long as it is honest and truthful. Send it to me by email and I will post it in the NVA reviews thread - you and it can be anonymous if you wish and not shown who here. There is no automatic block on any applicant, as everyone needs educating as to NVA, to see reality and not the forum politics either in favour or against - make up your own mind. Even Dunn haters are not automatically excluded, each case will be judged on merit, though I doubt any of them will do it, probably in case they are wowed by it.

Only available to UK members of those forums.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

BUMP!

for awareness

Hemmo1969
Ukraine

Unread post by Hemmo1969 »

Doc,

Would I be ok to share this with a few people on a turntable Facebook group? Obviously they’ve have to come and join the forum etc...