Pink Triangle PT1, Alphason HRS100S + Linn Asaka

All general audio posts go here.
antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pink Triangle PT1, Alphason HRS100S + Linn Asaka

Unread post by antonio66 »

karatestu wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:59 pm Anyone tried doc's secret yet - putting belts over the top of the first ?
This is news to me.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

antonio66 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:25 pm
karatestu wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:59 pm Anyone tried doc's secret yet - putting belts over the top of the first ?
This is news to me.
The Doc's first post on this thread - page one :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

eagwok33

Unread post by eagwok33 »

[/quote]
karatestu wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:13 am What will a Pink triangle PT1 like to be sat on ?
Hello Stu, for me the best for most TTs would be on top of wall mounted rack with a thicker (for example) 26mm special ply-wood board as base plate (called "Siebdruckplatte" in German).
karatestu wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:37 pm Anyone tried doc's secret yet - putting belts over the top of the first ?
I will with my LP12! ;) I ordered a replacement belt (good price - € 15 - but not an original) with William Thakker. (https://www.thakker.eu/riemen/plattensp ... nn&first=0)

I will report, how it works for me in the LP12...
Norbert

Tubes and Vinyl rule, Music rocks! :icon-wink:

karatestu
Great Britain

Excellent Norbert, thanks. You got a good price there. From linn they are £50 a pop now, robbing barstewards.

I will await your findings :guiness;
DIY FREE ZONE

eagwok33

Hi Stu,
I received the new replacement belt on Friday and tried the Doc's secret tip by using two belts on top of each other for my LP12 but I couldn't make it work. The two belts don't like each other apparently :roll:, as they kind of tangle up, when the LP12 is started. Maybe this is caused by the old original LP12 belt - which I haven't replaced for many years as my LP 12 hasn't been used - maybe it is the new replacement belt, I don't know. Anyway, I'm using the new one now and it seems the sound of my LP12 gained a bit of precision, especially in the bass department. 8-)

Overall, the LP12 sound is nice but my pimped Lenco L75 with Schick 12" and also my Perpetuum Ebner PE33 studio with Schroeder CB arm (the latter also an idler wheel drive) are a lot more fun (more drive!) in delivering music from vinyl. :dance:

So, I'm sure you will enjoy your new PT1, Alphason, Linn Asaka combo! :)
Norbert

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It is probably the instability of the Linn suspension (upside down pendulum). The jumping around on start up would be enough to get the two belts to fight each other. I would suggest an obvious solution that comes into my mind, but I haven't tried it. A thin run of rubber based glue like Bison or Uhu to keep the two together.

karatestu
Great Britain

Thanks for the feedback Norbert. That is a shame.

I can see problems with the pt1 as the belt has to be put on with the aid of a bit of thread. Pink of course :grin:

A may try the bison trick Doc.
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

No guarantee as I haven't done it. The only time I did it (not glued) was on a NVA Senior TT which was a very stable platform and it worked well, I largely stopped being irritated by pianos. In that case it was the standard Thorens belt.

BTW your cables will be picked up tomorrow and delivered Tuesday.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I just looked at Google for the Senior, and found this http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index. ... ic=17144.0 Interesting the last post about the split plinth version, I had completely forgotten about that one. I think this is Dimples as Margoshka (large hilarious Polish women who worked for me) called him. This was in the factory at Buntingford mid 90's.

eagwok33

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:21 pm It is probably the instability of the Linn suspension (upside down pendulum). The jumping around on start up would be enough to get the two belts to fight each other. I would suggest an obvious solution that comes into my mind, but I haven't tried it. A thin run of rubber based glue like Bison or Uhu to keep the two together.
Thanks Doc for your response, tip and a further food for thought! You are right, it seems to be the upside down movement at start which triggers the belts to tangle-up. I will order another one of these replacement belts from Thakker after X-mas to have a reserve belt (€15 is a fair price) and will then follow your advise and use some uhu to glue two of the belts I have together. It is definitely worth a try and no problem at all if it doesn't work. :epopc:

I will keep you and Stu informed about the process...
Norbert