More

All general audio posts go here.
antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: More

Unread post by antonio66 »

Alfi, your post did not offend me, I was just surprised you posted "most probably". Highly unlike you. :grin: I am disappointed in this thread as stated earlier. Its going over the same old ground, and any lurkers will surely be thinking the same. It's really not the way forward for this forum in my humble opinion.
Last edited by antonio66 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

OK short memory then. So you know why we do it, or at least our motive.

Every so often I try to make peace with one or the other of them, recently at TAS, so far only to either be ignored or have it thrown back in my face rudely as at TAS, which just escalates the conflict, and makes it even harder to find peace. I just presume they don't want it so we might as well just get on with our pisstake fun and enjoy it.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

CN211276 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:52 am Going on the speaker positioning in some of the pictures on the Willy waving threads it is apparent that the system is likely to sound shit.
Indeed CN, that's partly why I laugh at them. Also check out TT positioning, ie right between speakers, in a room corner etc

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

antonio66

Regarding speakers and positioning. My brother and I went to a friends flat [met through a for sale ad on pfm] to listen to a pair of Avalon Ascendants, he was considering buying 2nd hand. We would never have thought they would work in his room, especially close to the rear wall, but they did. He did not purchase them, but that was nothing to do with them sounding very good in his room. Best not to jump to conclusions regarding rooms and speakers.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Anybody heard any equipment praised on pm with an inflated price

ArseHats

Unread post by ArseHats »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:03 pm Why do people think more is better = more cost, more complexity, more components, more bling, more hi-fi, more ego, more marketing bullshit = more stupidity and less music.
I think the standard explanation is that on average, and all other things being equal, those of our ancestors who effectively displayed their ability to accumulate and retain resources had more reproductive opportunities than their more humble contemporaries (who consequently had less chance of becoming our ancestors). It's not that this is the conscious reason we buy bling, any more than the meeting of our nutritional needs is why we want to eat cake, or the meeting our reproductive needs is why we want to have sex with partners we find attractive, but all of these behaviours have evolved because they have had those functions in the past. When considering both natural selection and sexual selection, evolution need only be a consequential process, we as individuals require absolutely no conscious knowledge of how it operates. (Indeed evolution may work best when it obscures its mechanisms from our awareness!)
Obviously there are other internal pressures (e.g. humility) that act on a spending decisions in the modern retail environment, and the degree to which each of those pressures influences us for a given spending decision will vary from individual to individual: We are none of us genetic clones (except for identical twins) and; we are all growing up in our own unique personal environments which will also effect our behaviours.
"One whos head is so far up ones own arse that they are wearing ones arse as a hat"

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

DQ - Not recently, I don't go to shows, a little at the odd bake-off. In a way I don't need to, my reference is me and what I do and to improve on that, for other gear I rely on returns and customers opinions. In the early days of my ebay incarnation I had more returns especially against Naim and Linn as people were set in that way of music (or lack of it) and if it wasn't just a better Naim they rejected it, as time has gone on this has changed. Now I get very few returns even against the over inflated price bling stuff on the occasions I know of that happening. Especially with Naim I get praised by customers as they have made money on the process of buying new NVA and selling second hand Naim.

The last one I heard was at Uddersfield bake-off - Lurchers FET jobby, pretty pricey and definitely built for looks as well. My opinion, it was a damn good musical amplifier.

antonio66

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:56 pm Anybody heard any equipment praised on pm with an inflated price
All the time DQ, Naim springs to mind. :lol:

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:56 pm Anybody heard any equipment praised on pm with an inflated price
Heard a fair bit of modern gear at dealers over the past 10 years or so, inc. Naim, PMC, KEF, Rega, ProAc, Usher, Unison Research, Sonus Faber. I've found that the more expensive stuff sounds more 'impressive' but not always more involving.

Owned Sugden and Harbeth for about 5 years before NVA.

Borrowed some more interesting items, every so often, from a secondhand dealer.

Would like to hear more vintage gear - I enjoy seeing that stuff on the PFM thread.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Naim is a red herring. Other items may deliver in sq, if they don't deliver in price.