Organic Food

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Organic Food

Unread post by savvypaul »

+1

Free range organic chicken deffo tastes better. I won't buy the supermarket stuff...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I still buy non organic chicken , I simply accept it's shortcomings

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Roast dinner on Sunday, leftovers make sandwiches and Monday night pasta supper. Bones and 'bits' make stock or soup. Assuming I've got the time and the inclination...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Organic meat is better and often the animal's life has been better. Same with eggs and milk to some extent.

Organic vegetables, fruit and grain etc are a bit of a nonsense really. It costs so much more to produce and the word organic has become a bit of a buzz word. It is purely middle class bullshit, something to brag about to your aspirational keep up with the Jones' professional friends.

For sure do it organic in your own vegetable patch if you can but it is very disheartening when pests and diseases make a mess of your crops. The best thing is cutting down on the time between harvesting and eating. You dig up your potatoes, carrots etc a couple of hours before eating them. Absoluely delicious and will always taste much better than shop bought stuff. Another thing is often quite a few things don't even make it in to the kitchen. Eaten whilst picking - peas, strawberries, plums, apples, carrots, radish. :dance:
DIY FREE ZONE

Daniel Quinn

What meat other than chicken ? I am not aware of any and remain to be covinced

kimangelis
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

A farmer south of Hawick in the Scottish Borders, rears his own sheep and pigs for slaughter and sale in his own shop in Hawick. Both sheep and pigs are free-range and have a stress-free life... until they're slaughtered that is.

The mutton and pork are just delicious and no more expensive than supermarket product. There's no claim about them being organic. Also the Happy Chicken Farm in the Ettrick Valley between Selkirk and Hawick. The chickens live in a very large field scattered with coops. The eggs are lovely with very yellow yolks. The older, low-producing chickens are free to locals for keeping at home, or are slaughtered as broilers and are again, delicious.
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I do love the way some insist that this stuff IS bullshit, or IS a scam like they have evidence. As far as I'm aware, no-one here is an agriculture expert so an opinion is all that can be given. My personal opinion is that it must be better for us to consume produce that hasn't been sprayed or stuffed with Christ-knows what chemicals that nature never intended us to eat. Whether or not the pricing is ridiculous would be down to the individual I guess.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I have long suspected it is a rip off.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Daniel Quinn

Use of chemical fertilisers is debatable. As far as I am aware this is played upon the organic mafia

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

The appetite of the world's population would not be able to met if it were not for chemical fertilisers.

To go back to the old days would involve the application of lots of manure, shoddy etc etc including all the waste from humans. Even then yields would be down.

As more land is gobbled up by development and energy crops the area under agriculture for food production is decreasing whilst the world population continues to increase. Sooner or later there wont be the land available for organic production and it's lower yields. None of it is good for the environment but we are so far down the road now there is no turning back. :cry:

The opinion of a part time farmer. My parents ancestors (on both sides) were farmers too going back hundreds of years so I think my opinion does carry some weight.
DIY FREE ZONE