Where next with my NVA system?

All things NVA
Alfi
Wales

Where next with my NVA system?

Unread post by Alfi »

I currently have...

NVA P50, A20, Phono 2 ( 2 power supplies) SSC's, LS6 and home made Cube 1 style clones using 18mm Birch ply cabs. This system was achieved incrementally over a number of years.

Next steps I've considered are P40 mono's, BMU and possibly a BBPSU for my Phono 2?

Obviously I'd love to end up with TCS, TAS, TDS, TIS, TSCS and Cubix Pro's :grin: :dance: but funding the dream would be very difficult if not impossible :( So perhaps I could aim for TCS and TAS with TIS and TSCS may eventually be possible?

Any thoughts/advice welcome, or should I just be happy with my system as it stands?

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Where next with my NVA system?

Unread post by Ithilstone »

I know from experience benefit of bigger transformers with NVA
SO A40 or bigger
BMU if you have a noisy mains

I will not comment on BBPSU as I use mine for headphones ;] and do not have TT at all
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

P50 to P50sa, SSC to SSP, then bypass A40's and go to A60. People like the idea of monoblocks but the 60 is a damn good underated amp. Same as your A20 but more power and much bigger power supply and proper external heatsink. That would be my 1 2 3.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The A20 is perfectly capable of reproducing changes further back in the chain given half a chance in my experience...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Ithilstone wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:25 pm I know from experience benefit of bigger transformers with NVA
SO A40 or bigger
BMU if you have a noisy mains

I will not comment on BBPSU as I use mine for headphones ;] and do not have TT at all
Thank you very much for your thoughts on my upgrade plan, I ave witnessed that you describe re transformers with the additional PS on my phono 2.

Alfi.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:29 pm P50 to P50sa, SSC to SSP, then bypass A40's and go to A60. People like the idea of monoblocks but the 60 is a damn good underated amp. Same as your A20 but more power and much bigger power supply and proper external heatsink. That would be my 1 2 3.
Cheers Doc that sound like a plan. I will need to make some changes to the cabinet I house my equipment in as the A 60 is taller than I can manage at the moment.

Will order up some SSP soon.

I may purchase the P50 SA outright as I do not want to be without my little P50. Can I do that and send my P50 back to you when I receive the SA version? I assume I'd get a pro rata trade in on its return?

Alfi.

_D_S_J_R_ wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:44 am The A20 is perfectly capable of reproducing changes further back in the chain given half a chance in my experience...
Thanks Dave, that's fine and I fully accept how good the little A20 is but the Doc's genius at providing an upgrade path that really works has convinced me that I need something a bit larger. I was lead to ask where to go next as I have recently installed an additional Phono 2 PS and it has opened my eyes and ears once more. Phono 2 is in fact an excellent stage but with the additional PS it's bloody awesome. Think I have a wonderful journey of discovery ahead once more!

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Only if I can sell the P50 as new, which is unlikely. As long as the SA is here to fit (check before sending) I can turn it around in the same day, 10 minute job.

This is an upgrade job not a trade in job.

Make sure you do second PSU review.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

OK, I did buy the P50 as a trade in or B grade from you as it has a very small chip 4 x 4mm top LHS of the rear panel. I'll probably end up selling via the forum or eBay for a fair price.

Will do a review of the 2nd PSU soon as I can

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Doc, could I trade in my A20 for the A60 though and my SSC's for the SSP's ?

Alfi
I am in the hi-fi trade.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Yes of course.

You know the system, you buy at ebay, pay, and on delivery send back trade in and I refund against the new sale.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Great, thanks Doc.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.