Arkless modded Cambs Audio phono stage

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Arkless modded Cambs Audio phono stage

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:42 pm

Now back with me after the bake-offs and MCRU - Dave please write something as you said you would.

Available for loan.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Re: Arkless modded Cambs Audio phono stage

Unread post by Classicrock » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:52 pm

I have read elsewhere that some have found it worse than the standard Cambridge version rather than an improvement. My impression of the sound is the aim was to appeal to flat earthers.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:36 pm

Shite then?

Alfi
Heavily modified LP12 , Sole VIII sub-chassis with "In Sole" advanced polymer suspension, Ai bearing, PU7, DV20X2, Norton Airpower clone, etc. PL71 & Denon DL301 II, NVA Phono 2 MC (two power supplies), NVA P50, NVA A20 power amp, home made birch ply Allison 6/NVA Cube 1 clones, NVA SSC's, LS6.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:51 pm

The point of having it here is to show what shite it is and to show up AoS and PFM forums for praising it. IMO they must be feckin' deaf, so how can we judge them as experts on anything hi-fi - knob heads.

BTW still in the box it came back from MCRU in and I will not open it, not interested, as I know someone will accuse me of tampering with it. I am not sure I could make it any worse if I tried. This is the first time I have even seen the outside of the cardboard box.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:17 pm

Shall I do a review, or would I be deemed too biased to NVA?

I used to have a standard Cambridge 640P which was incidentally as good as, if not slightly better than Naim 323 MC boards in a NAC 72/NAP140 set up. My God it must have been mad !

Alfi.
Last edited by Alfi on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heavily modified LP12 , Sole VIII sub-chassis with "In Sole" advanced polymer suspension, Ai bearing, PU7, DV20X2, Norton Airpower clone, etc. PL71 & Denon DL301 II, NVA Phono 2 MC (two power supplies), NVA P50, NVA A20 power amp, home made birch ply Allison 6/NVA Cube 1 clones, NVA SSC's, LS6.

David Brook
Austria

Unread post by David Brook » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:18 pm

If I had say a £50 pair of speakers and a £200 Pro-Ject deck and an old NAD amp as an example the arkwright would probably sound OK. Indeed I suspect the people who like it have mediocre systems at best (not being funny obviously as we are all different) but when I read elsewhere about the lemming like status of forum dwellers as soon as one person springs up saying this is great others agree as they want to fit in and feel like part of the forum family.

I tried both stages with a variety of kit (mostly stuff I use to listen in the mains shop area) I even compared them to the phono amp inside a 5 grand luxman integrated amp.

As I use Nick's phono as my main stage all others sound piss poor compared to that, one or two have gotten pretty close, the NVA is rather special IMO, I have even ordered one for myself with a power supply as its a no brainer IMO. Hell I reckon I could sell loads of the damn things if the person who owns the company was a bit more dynamic ( :violence-swords: LOL

Anyway good luck to Mr Arkwright with his modded phono stage, 4/10 for me.
Garrard 401 Slate Plinth | SME 12" Arm | NWA DH3 Cart | MFA Ref Phono Amp | MF Pre Amp | Soulution 7 Power Amp | Maxonic Speakers | A Chair

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:27 pm

I am dynamic