Pioneer PL-71 refurbishment (Stu Version)

A place for DIY project discussions.
karatestu
Great Britain

Pioneer PL-71 refurbishment (Stu Version)

Unread post by karatestu »

New thread as this deck has recently been passed on to me form Quarknosis - thanks !

Original thread is here https://hifisubjectivist.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=48384 This thread is a continuation of that thread.

Here is a pic or two of the TT as picked up from Quarknosis

Quite a looker I think you will agree. Very 1970's and I love it. Looks much nicer than the fruitbox I am looking at now :grin:

Paul has done a lovely job of getting rid of the stains of the wood and generally cleaning things up.

Pic of the lovely arm with original headshell

The dust cover does have a few scratches on it - not sure yet what can be done about that.

Pic with the platter mat removed.....Quark replaced the lid hinges, so thanks for that Paul.

Pic with the platter removed - sharp tug needed to get it off the spindle

Pic of underside of platter

More to come. Please excuse my basic camera skills :epopc:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Pioneer PL-71 refurbishment

List of known and possible issues with this TT

1) Tonearm horizontal bearing has too much play - need carefully tightening up
2) Cueing device drops like a stone when let down - silicone oil of high viscosity required
3) Dust cover slightly scratched - ????
4) Electrolytic capacitors of early 1970's vintage will need replacing on psu and motor control boards - values are well known
5) Micro switches and pots will need replacing - farnell or maplins is your friend :grin: although identical parts may not be available

That's about it. There are plenty of mods one could do but I won't go in to that here.

I have found information about this deck on forums such as here, AOS, wigwam, pfm, vinyl engine, audiokarma, DIY audio, crossover network and there are probably others in the deep confines of the net. I might pull a few links together on this thread at some point to help others tread the PL71 refurb path. Pity some of the pictures on various forums have gone due to the greed of photobucket.

I will make sure I document things here thoroughly with words and pictures.

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Re: Pioneer PL-71 refurbishment (Stu Version)

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Reply to number 3, try some quixx acrylic polish on it, about a tenner from Amazon. Ive used it on lids before and its worked on them.
Depends on the type of plastic as to how effective it is, best to try somewhere it wont be seen first. Back of the hinges is a good spot to try it on
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Very nice Stu.

Quarknosis did a superb job of the plinth, so top marks to him for that it's gorgeous.

You'll need some 300,000 cSt silicone gloop for the cueing device. You won't need much and it sometimes sells in plastic syringes on eBay.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

karatestu
Great Britain

Vinyl-ant wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:38 pm Reply to number 3, try some quixx acrylic polish on it, about a tenner from Amazon. Ive used it on lids before and its worked on them.
Depends on the type of plastic as to how effective it is, best to try somewhere it wont be seen first. Back of the hinges is a good spot to try it on
Thanks Ant. I will definitely get some of that
Alfi wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:22 pm Very nice Stu.

Quarknosis did a superb job of the plinth, so top marks to him for that it's gorgeous.

You'll need some 300,000 cSt silicone gloop for the cueing device. You won't need much and it sometimes sells in plastic syringes on eBay.

Alfi.
Cheers Alfi. Will have a look on the bay.

There is a very good recent posting on vinyl engine about the PL71 arm and the bearings https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 5&t=101363

I had forgotten about it and was only posted a few days ago. Good timing or what :grin:

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

karatestu wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:41 pm

There is a very good recent posting on vinyl engine about the PL71 arm and the bearings https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 5&t=101363

I had forgotten about it and was only posted a few days ago. Good timing or what :grin:

Stu
That is an excellent post which clearly explains what needs to be done. You can see from the pictures that it's a pretty intuitive arm to work on - much easier than the Rega R200!

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

It's Good to see that you are making some headway already Stu, you've probably done as much in the last few days as I did in all the time it was with me :lol: . It was nice to meet you even though it was only briefly, I'll be watching the thread with interest, unfortunately the pictures aren't showing for me either at home or at work.

I might have some silicone oil in the garage that might be suitable for the armlift problem, I'll try and have a look at the beginning of next week when I'm of work again. I had forgotten about that issue as I usually hand cued.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Where are the images?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Imag
George Hincapie wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:34 pm Where are the images?
Images showing fine for me. Browser settings?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Cool to see this...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/