NVA Bollocks forum folk law

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

NVA Bollocks forum folk law

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:58 am

I will try to add to this over time as a record of the stooopidity and lack of knowledge I keep having to face.

1/ I use ordinary glue to fix output transistors and they fail because of it. In the past seen at both PFM and at AoS and used to try and show how badly NVA amps are made. Latest put on a 2nd hand A40 listing by Emporium Hi-fi at ebay which was libel that I have got him to remove.

I have avoided publishing this before as why should I help people design and build amps, it is far easier to use than the tradition method if more expensive. For me the primary motive is I need to use it to maintain ClassII double insulated appliance regs.

http://www.seifert-gmbh.de/Loctite_315.pdf

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: NVA Bollocks forum folk law

Unread post by Geoff.R.G » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:28 pm

I think you told me what you use a while back when I asked. Still nice to have the data sheet.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:31 pm

Two were still up when I looked 5 minutes ago.

I have also contacted emporium via eBay about those A 40's ...

YOU:
What happened to these - were they dropped?

Why is the NVA logo on the left it should be on the right.

Thanks in advance.

emporiumhificom:
They went bang but they are glued together so had to be dismantled

YOU:
I own NVA, the top is meant to be removed, but it looks as if the person who "repaired" these used a sledge hammer. If these were properly repaired by NVA I may have bought them. Can you guarantee they still meet class 2 specs?

emporiumhificom:

No.

New message to: emporiumhificom
Then you should not sell them as they are dangerous.

I await their response.

Alfi.
Heavily modified LP12 , Sole VIII sub-chassis with "In Sole" advanced polymer suspension, Ai bearing, PU7, DV20X2, Norton Airpower clone, etc. PL71 & Denon DL301 II, NVA Phono 2 MC (two power supplies), NVA P50, NVA A20 power amp, home made birch ply Allison 6/NVA Cube 1 clones, NVA SSC's, LS6.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:21 pm

I would assume that any reputable repairer of domestic equipment should be aware of that Loctite thermal glue. Must be used on many appliances as they don't make it for NVA! I know it may be giving too much information away but it might be advisable to put information regarding case lid removal and class II insulation on the NVA web site so that any engineers confused by an NVA amp can Google this. Perhaps with advice to return to NVA.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:34 pm

The advice is simple, I do not trust them one inch, return to me for repair.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:39 pm

Well put that in bold letters so that anyone can Google it that may have bought second hand.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:44 pm

The other thing is when this was doing the rounds of the forum a couple of years ago NOT ONE person out of all their so called experts said "hold on what about this" so no they didn't know about it, the same as they didn't know about Class II appliance regs which is my #2 of NVA Bollocks forum folk law.

NVA use cheap plastic cases, can't even use metal, and they are unsafe as they don't have an earth.

Well per usual this explains it all https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appliance_classes

Well I am likely to waste my time attaching a earth wire to a non conductive material like Acrylic, yes I am full of stupidity like that, but some of these knob heads will praise the bit of wire. Acrylic is a plastic the same as gold is a metal, but as with all things there is wide band of uses types and quality. An acrylic case cost more than a metal (steel or aluminium) one - so not done for cost or cheapness - done because it is the most attractive (I personally really like the look), but mostly done because it is the #1 insulator in meeting the double insulated standard.

Now wouldn't you think that somewhere on the forums there would have been someone with this knowledge apart from me, but no, when the likes of Fatpoopy, YWanker and The Bitch were busy abusing me and NVA at PFM about cheap plastic cases and no earth not one person said "hold on what about Class II appliances" why because none of them had a clue what it meant.

More to come.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:47 pm

My 1982 Teac Tape deck is double insulated so it is hardly new. Come to think of it I have three cassette decks that are also double insulated and one of them is even older.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:26 pm

Most of the early Japanese stuff is two cord mains class 0, because they were designed for 120v, both for Japan and USA, European 220 / 240v were just an after thought. It was only when concern was expressed as people became more safety conscious did this start to change. None of the rules are past product applicable, so you can buy 1950's valve amplifiers with hundred or thousands of volts and made to what now would be considered Class 0.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:33 pm

With this thread you will start to see how the wars at PFM and AoS started, me trying to counter these knob heads with correct information. I wasn't allowed to and was banned as THEY were the in crowd, or in the case of AoS the owner.