The NVA Ladder

All things NVA
Lotus Seven S
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The NVA Ladder

Unread post by Lotus Seven S »

On the bleakest of mid-winters thoughts go to upgrading....

I have no wish to go all the way up the ladder - actually what I most want is "Peace of Mind"..... and unfortunately the starter set is not exactly giving me it - because I keep thinking - yes it's good, but it could be better (or so everyone says).

So what would be a modest but reasonable upgrade?

My own thoughts are keep the P20 and buy the A60. But the AP50 was perhaps also a possibility. I really only have one source, so I think the P20 suits my needs (and the source is not the most pristine of sources, but it has been with me for 15 years more or less).

Any thoughts?
I am not a number. I am a free man

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: The NVA Ladder

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

A60 is a good bet, but more important is upgrade the cables. They are restricting the system as they are just to get the system working within spec and safely. Especially LS2 - up to LS3 at least but 5 or 6 much better if you can afford it. And SC up to SSC or even better SSP.

So my first upgrade would be stick to P20 / A20 and upgrade cables to the best you can afford. You take no risk you can return if you think I am wrong.

Lotus Seven S

I have done the cable bit, Doc -- a Black Friday purchase - so it looks like the A60 it is....

Are you still very busy?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Yes, and likely to stay that way, my holiday is out the window for now :roll: sorry but you have to join the queue. Delivery time goes up and down and depends on what is ordered, but 2 to 3 weeks on new orders at the moment.

So what did the cable upgrades bring to the music.

Ukulele Sam
Great Britain

Unread post by Ukulele Sam »

I will post a better review this week when I get chance but for me, moving from LS2 and Rothwell River i/c ( SC equivalent) to LS3 and SSP was the largest single upgrade I have made. Really made me re-consider the whole process. Even with my fairly modest set up of old A60 and p20 there is so much more of everything, detail, space around individual performers and music and I swear my Cubettes have upped their bass response!

When the time is right I will definitely trade up to LS6 and a run of SSP or TIS for cd transport/dac.

Lotus Seven S

So what did the cable upgrades bring to the music.
I think I tried to answer that on the thread: Super Sound Pipe & LS/5 At The Crack Of Dawn

But briefly I would say a fullness to the sound. Very pleasing.