How to get more visitors to HFS

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
savvypaul
Great Britain

How to get more visitors to HFS

Unread post by savvypaul »

Many other forums are trying to deny publicity to HFS. That means we have to do more ourselves to ensure people can find us.

This thread is to keep ideas and progress updates in one place...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: How to get more visitors to HFS

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:55 pm So how do we get more people to realise we exist, all you on-line / social network experts how do we counter their denial, I am an eeediot on the subject.
savvypaul wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:23 pm The simple answer is to have compelling content that people are looking for and is regularly updated...and then make it easy to find.

More specifically...

...there are some simple 'housekeeping' things to do to start with:

The 'Site Title' currently reads "Welcome to Hi-Fi Subjectivist - a hifi discussion group". If I do a Google search for 'hifi forum' then HFS does not appear on the first 2 pages of results (very few people will bother going beyond the first 2 pages). The 'Welcome to Hifi Subjectivist' part of the title is redundant because anyone who already knows the forum name, already knows where to find us. Then, looking at the rest of the wording...how many people would search for 'hifi discussion group' rather than 'forum'? The Site Title could be changed to something like:

'NVA HiFi Audio Forum Richard Dunn'

Next, the site doesn't seem to have a 'Site Description' submitted to search engines. If I search Hifi Forums, AOS appears on the first page with a Site Description that reads: "Hi-fi forum for discussing any aspect of hi-fi; vinyl, turntables, amplifiers, cd players, DACs, loudspeakers, cables, supports and more." If I search hifi subjectivist the results only return the site url, no Site Description to tell anyone what the site is about.

Google uses both of the above to match search terms to results. That is why AOS are on the front page and we are 'nowhere'.

These would be the first 2 things to address. The results would start showing within 3-4 weeks.

I'll write later about other actions that can be taken fairly easily. I suggest we start a dedicated thread...
savvypaul wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:34 pm
CN211276 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:04 pm I think a Facebook page (group) would be a good idea. It can contain links to HFS and NVA.
Could well be...but my advice would be to concentrate first on getting the forum more visible.

Facebook is good for keeping people interested after they have found you (though, FB is arguably more valuable alongside a commercial site that does not have facility for live interaction, as opposed to a forum where that facility already exists).

Get people to the forum first, then work out whether a FB page would add value.
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

Put an additional link in the nvahifi.co.uk 'top menu' so that it then consists of:

Home / Products / How We Trade / About NVA / Archive / Contact Us / Speakers / Forum

To make things neater, the 'Speakers' top menu link can be removed as it is already part of the 'Products' sub menu.

Insert another Forum link in the footer 'About NVA' section.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

I've added a link to HFS from my own website. Traffic is non existent at the moment as it'd off line for maintenance.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Actually a very good idea Alfi. Allow links here to member's web sites on condition that they host a link back to here. Might need to put some rule/s in place about ethos etc.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Alfi wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:23 pm I've added a link to HFS from my own website. Traffic is non existent at the moment as it'd off line for maintenance.

Alfi.
In the same vein, any emails (nva or personal) that Doc sends should have a link to HFS in the signature
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

Create a new section of the forum:

'Articles about HiFi by NVA designer Richard Dunn'

Make the article titles helpful to search results, e.g.

'How to improve the sound quality of your hifi speakers'
'How to tackle the poor mains quality to your hifi system'
'Hifi Myths and Forum Bullshit'

The articles that are already on the nvahifi.co.uk site can also be incorporated in this section. These articles will perform well in Google search results and mean that people sepend at least several minutes on the forum even if they only visit for that article alone. When visitors spend longer on the site, especially on their first visit, Google upgrades the value of the content...and pushes the site up the search results.

Would have the additional benefit of being a visible reference section for forum visitors - which means fewer repeat questions from newbies.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Emails - I am a computer eeediot, I told you, I cannot find how to do this. Ithilstone is coming over next week perhaps he can do it for me.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

You guys are welcome to join my FB group and spread NVA/HFS. But please do show pics of your systems on there too.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:41 pm Emails - I am a computer eeediot, I told you, I cannot find how to do this. Ithilstone is coming over next week perhaps he can do it for me.
Get him to create a signature within your email client. He will know what I mean - it's very basic.

The signature could read something like this:

Richard Dunn
NVA HiFi
www.nvahifi.co.uk
www.hifisubjectivist.org

You can also add your phone number, if you want to.

This is then automatically attached, below the message content, to any emails that you send.
I am in the hi-fi trade