DIY thoughts of the day

A place for DIY project discussions.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: DIY thoughts of the day

Unread post by karatestu »

Of course. I still have an idea about boring out the innards of a very large tree trunk with the chainsaw. Only thing is, boring out with the tip of the bar and chain is the most dangerous thing you can do. Kick back is a real danger doing that and could result in all sorts of blood spillage. All that would be needed is a flat piece of timber over the entry hole and a few holes for drivers. Very rusting but impoosible to mtch the two enclosures - no two bits of trunk are the same. But then i dont really believe in all that speaker building bollocks :lol: :lol: :lol: :guiness; :guiness; :guiness; :guiness; :guiness; .

Apart from that all i can think of is buying some shit speakers e.g harbeth, linn, yamaha ns1000 and filming myself destroying them with chainsaw, axe and sledge hammer. I have a youtube channel :dance: Then putting them on a bonfire :lol: Reminds me of a drum kit i used to have. I had the brilliant idea of chopping them in half so they were only 6" deep with one head. Then they would fit inside each other for easy transportation. Well, they all fit inside each other alright. But they sounded like shiiiite. Boooooiiiiiiiinggggg is an understatement. Ended up burning them on bonfire night.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

I have warmed to the idea of MCRU buying NVA. If that is what is needed to keep it going then so be it. I won't be buying any mind you. Well, i don't need anything i already have a phono1 (i have plans to mod into a phono3 alike) , AP20 for my second system, BMU, 6x NVA amp boards (4 of which i have not used yet) , 3 way isobaric semi omni speakers with doc's drivers, several sets of TIS, 4 runs of LS6.

The only things i need are some more low cap speaker cables, 2 more 12" drivers, 4x 5" drivers and possibly 4 more tweeters. That is where diy can come to the rescue. If no LS6 comes up 2nd hand then i will try and make some. I know which drivers doc used, i have shit loads of bison and plasti dip.

My volume control that i am planning is my take on a stepped attenuator from hifi collective (that doc used). I will use more resistors in the lower volume range and not bother with the ones i will never need. As it will only go as loud as i chose (through resistor choice) there will be no clipping issues and speaker failures at any party my kids chose to have when they get older cos it will only go so loud :lol:

I still have plenty to do. I know what parts doc used and his wiring stratergies so it's no where near game over.
DIY FREE ZONE

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

Unread post by Hannes-Gregor »

karatestu wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:46 pm ...6x NVA amp boards (4 of which i have not used yet)...
I'm nearly sure that it's futile to ask, but you don't like to sell one (or two) of these?

karatestu
Great Britain

Hannes-Gregor wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:26 pm
karatestu wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:46 pm ...6x NVA amp boards (4 of which i have not used yet)...
I'm nearly sure that it's futile to ask, but you don't like to sell one (or two) of these?
Hi Hannes.

Sorry, i have plans for those boards - a six pack to drive the monstrous speakers i have planned. You are top of the list if i change my mind though

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

Unread post by Hannes-Gregor »

I already thought something like this and can understand it. But thank you very much for my pole position on your list. Maybe they're available soon again, then my problem would be solved. It doesn't affect my main system so it can wait.

karatestu
Great Britain

Been thinking a lot about my diy audio projects. Done lots of thinking but zero doing. At least i am thinking about it as for a while all i could think about was drums, drumming and bands. Once i start thinking then i know it wont be too long until something gets done.

I am going to build a music centre. Everything in one baltic birch unit 60cm x 60cm x 100cm height. Everything hardwired inside it with only the record deck external. Had it all planned for a while but keep tweaking the design.

Many things to take into account;

Keep signal path between cdp, phono stage, pre and power sections as short as poss
Everything hardwired with only one power lead externally
No interconnects needed
6 channels of nva power amp
Hot rodded phono1 with 4 psu's and regulators
Volume control and source selector
12 psu's for power amps
4 psu's for phono stage
turntable psu
6 or 7 psu's for hot rodded Naim CD3.5
All psu's well away from everything else
Heat management
Access for servicing or repairs.

I dont think anyone has done something like this on the forums. It will be a wonderful thing when i get it done. Dont hold your breath though.
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Room for a drinks cabinet?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

karatestu
Great Britain

savvypaul wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:22 am Room for a drinks cabinet?
Brilliant idea. Why didn't i think of that. Which spirits go best with hifi?
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Depends on the music...

Willie Nelson - Bourbon
Orchestra Baobab - Rum
St Etienne - Calvados
Shane McGowan - Meths
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi