Why do you post on forums

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Why do you post on forums

Unread post by karatestu »

Lindsayt wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:04 pm Yeah but Richard backed it up with being active on the bake-off scene, which put him firmly in the baker category.

It was a case of "I'm right and you're wrong and I'll back it up by letting you hear what I'm talking about".

As opposed to "I'm right and you're wrong (because of something I've read in a Floyd Toole book in the case of that AVForum thread :lol: ) and I'm not interested in meeting up with you to demonstrate what I'm talking about" - eg some super duper modern speaker that pisses over anything from 50 years ago. :bulls1:

And on the one (rare) occasion that Richard didn't win a bake-off he was very gracious about it and demonstrated integrity and honesty of the highest order at the bake-off and in the aftermath for years to come.

Whenever there was an area on hi-fi that Richard wasn't sure about, he wouldn't make up some bullshit, he'd admit to limited knowledge and keep an open mind.
So what equipment was involved in the bake off where Richard's gear lost and he admitted it ?

Richard always said he knew little about digital. Except the power supplies of course.
DIY FREE ZONE

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Ordinaryman wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:55 pm Agreed 100% the trouble is every individual interpretation of what is "right for them" can be vastly different. What any individual hears cannot be considered right or wrong, just different. Some are better placed to give the opinion that "this sounds better" to them but that doesn't mean it's a fact or will be better for everyone, after all its purely subjective and if people's opinions are different, so what, it doesn't make them a fool and imo that's where most forum's fail..
Amongst people with integrity, there has almost always been a very good agreement on the sonic differences and which sounds best at bake offs I have attended.

The biggest difference with people with integrity has been when a more expensive component has sounded better and whether it was worth the extra money or not. Which is entirely fair and reasonable. Although it does seem that the owners of the worse sounding cheaper gear are more likely to say "Yours is better, but I wouldn't pay the extra money for it"

For the bake-off that Richard lost, it was a small south London bake-off - about 10 years ago now. Speakers were Impulse Ta'us. Source was a Squeezebox. Medium sized room.
The amplifiers were the hosts Bel Canto (£3000?) class D which was OK for pop music, but sounded all wrong - strangely artificial - on piano music.
A Leek (2020?) that cost the owner about £300. Pleasant enough but lush and pipe and slippers in front of a warm log fire type of sound. Nevertheless good value for money.
An NVA A80 at £800 new. You could hear the clarity and purity and potential of this amp but it sounded thin with these speakers.
A Coincident Frankenstein 300b prototype, bought used for £1650. Bass was a bit wooly, especially when warming up. This amp was best at making a piano sound like a piano. Best for sounding like there was nothing there between the source and the speakers in the midrange.

At the time and thereafter, Richard did say that the Coincident was the best sounding SET that he had heard. He also said that with different speakers the results may well have been different. This is something that I'd agree with.

karatestu
Great Britain

Thanks for telling that tale.

What's your equipment these days Lindsay ?
DIY FREE ZONE

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

karatestu, AV system covered here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=48031&start=60
Since posting that my children's attitude has softened to the point where they just take the AV system for granted.

Downstairs system is Studer A807 or EMT950 or Philips CD 753 into NVA P50SA to Korneff clone SET to EV Patrician 800's

Upstairs system is EMT 930 or Marantz CD 48 into Pioneer SF 700 (adjustable active crossover) to Coincident Frankenstein Prototypes or NVA A20 for above 500 hz and Urei 6230 for below 500 hz to Bozak Symphonies.

Basement (son's gym) system is a 1972 Japanese Receiver into Sansui SP5500's.

karatestu
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:56 pm karatestu, AV system covered here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=48031&start=60
Since posting that my children's attitude has softened to the point where they just take the AV system for granted.

Downstairs system is Studer A807 or EMT950 or Philips CD 753 into NVA P50SA to Korneff clone SET to EV Patrician 800's

Upstairs system is EMT 930 or Marantz CD 48 into Pioneer SF 700 (adjustable active crossover) to Coincident Frankenstein Prototypes or NVA A20 for above 500 hz and Urei 6230 for below 500 hz to Bozak Symphonies.

Basement (son's gym) system is a 1972 Japanese Receiver into Sansui SP5500's.
You must live in a mansion. Interesting list of gear many of which i had to look up. You certainly don't follow the sheep.
DIY FREE ZONE

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

If you watched gentleman Jack, it's the kind of home lindsay lives in in Halifax :lol:

wiicrackpot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Always suspected Lindsay's gaff is not the hovel some of us live in,
a man's rig if there ever was one, being a big speakers guy, i am impartial to his speaker choice. 8-)
Frank...made me do it.

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Unread post by Colin Wonfor »

I post because the truth on crap designs and people should be made public.
I also post to help if I can others.
And again to inform other hobbyist like me about new ideas I have.
And on occasions just to piss of people who tell me I can't say the truth or do that right thing.
So not wasting time and a place to comment, has anybody murdered GM yet????? please.

:hbs: :angry-banghead: :flags-wavegreatbritain: :obscene-moneypiss: :teasing-blah: :text-worthless: :violence-rapidfire: :violence-swords:

It can be done so imagine it.

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:50 pm If you watched gentleman Jack, it's the kind of home lindsay lives in in Halifax :lol:
Very nice, does he have servants as well?

karatestu
Great Britain

Some one to toe the speakers in and dress the cables ?
DIY FREE ZONE