Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: Infinite baffle idea

Unread post by Lindsayt »

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Lindsayt wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:24 pm People have done this with cinema systems. 24" drivers with the rears facing into an attic or under-floor space.

It works well. And all you need to undo it is a few floorboard sections.

You can even have the drivers forward facing with a box around them that vents the rear sound though a large hole in the floor.
I know it's nothing new and i was thinking about trying to minimise the amount of speaker in the room. Bass and mid bass drivers in the floor, tweeters mounted in the wall = no speaker cabs in the room :dance:

With 8ft to the ceiling i hope they would work ok with being up firing.

Other thing to be careful with is using drivers with too low Qts. The drivers could hit their end stops and disintegrate. Low frequency output is said to be improved and there should be a lack of boxyness (new word) like open baffle.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Jammy Dodger wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:26 pm Seriously.?
Yes, seriously. Ever heard of people mounting drivers in an unused chimney breast and using the chimney as the enclosure :lol:
DIY FREE ZONE

Jammy Dodger
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Jammy Dodger »

Chim Chimeny, Chim Chimney, Chim Chim Fuk Yoo.

😂

karatestu
Great Britain

Santa would get a shock.
DIY FREE ZONE

howardc1951

Unread post by howardc1951 »

I remember someone mounting a 2 way system of a Decca ribbon tweeter and Kef eliptical bass unit on a front panel and then over a hole into the cavity space of his living room wall.

karatestu
Great Britain

howardc1951 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:08 am I remember someone mounting a 2 way system of a Decca ribbon tweeter and Kef eliptical bass unit on a front panel and then over a hole into the cavity space of his living room wall.
That's the kind of out of the box thinking we need :whistle:
DIY FREE ZONE

Simon Hickie
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

Soundstage implications are interesting. I have to say that my DIY OB speakers provide an extraordinarily big 3D soundstage that's high wide and deep - distinctly better than my semi-omnis. However, they need room to breathe with a meter or more behind them. Therefore, this would mean more rather than less speaker in the room.

karatestu
Great Britain

Simon Hickie wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:37 am Soundstage implications are interesting. I have to say that my DIY OB speakers provide an extraordinarily big 3D soundstage that's high wide and deep - distinctly better than my semi-omnis. However, they need room to breathe with a meter or more behind them. Therefore, this would mean more rather than less speaker in the room.
Hi Simon. I think true infinite baffle and open baffle have a lot in common like similar drivers are needed as regards Qts but there must be differences in speaker placement. OB's need to be out in the room to work well. A lot of IB's are built in to people's walls or floors or ceilings . If built into the back wall then there is no distance to the back wall as the wall is the baffle. Built into the floor then things may not be the same .

It is causing me a headache or two trying to work the details out. Trying to find drivers with Qts of 0.7 ish is very difficult. I have only found one so far and it was made for in car use really. As they don't have enclosures the Qts of the driver becomes the Qtc as there is no box to modify it. But then i have found other bits of information saying it can be done with Qts of 0.4 - 0.5 but results may be unpredictable.

I am quietly going Aaaarrrrghhhh.

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

howardc1951 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:08 am I remember someone mounting a 2 way system of a Decca ribbon tweeter and Kef eliptical bass unit on a front panel and then over a hole into the cavity space of his living room wall.
Hi Howard. Can't do that i'm afraid as my cavity is full of insulation :cry: . Good idea though.

Good idea for a multi room application. Stick your drivers through an internal wall between two rooms you want music in. Double up on tweeter's (two in each room. Job done :lol:
DIY FREE ZONE