Favourite audio test albums

All music posts here please.
Chunk McDaniel
Has thanked: 0

Re: Favourite audio test albums

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

A couple of mine are Lou Reed - Transformer and Calexico- The Black Light.

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

Vinyl- Chris Rea road to hell
- Annie Lennox
Cd- will young
- Nina Simone
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

wiicrackpot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Mods!, logged in to try to delete my earlier post but won't allow me,
got carried away this morning and went over the top feel embarrass now, talking shite, :oops: :doh:
not audiophile quality label in any shape or form, just me reminiscing how it nearly popped my Mark & Daniel Sapphires bass units and treble sounded harsh compared to Urei 809's using same MC2 Audio-MC750 amp.
Frank...made me do it.

29mile

Unread post by 29mile »

Joni Mitchell's 'Blue'.
Her vocals are so full of emotion they are a good 'measuring guage' for any potential upgrade.

Nihil Sleighride
Great Britain

Unread post by Nihil Sleighride »

So I'm going with;
Adolescents - S/T aka Blue - fave track - Kids of the Black Hole - I love following Steve Soto's bass and the build up to Rikk Agnew's guitar break.
Black Sabbath - Vol 4 - fave track - Supernaut - come on just listen to it and even check out the 1000 Homo Djs version
Faith No More - King for a day For a lifetime - fave track - Evidence, but pretty much anything on this is cracking. This along with Angel Dust is in my opinion their best work.
Danzig - III How the God's Kill - fave track - How the God's kill - I love the Misfits and Samhain but this is the one for when I've changed stuff around. Chuck Biscuit's drums should be immense and a faulty mike was unintentionally used for Glen's vocals and the effects of this should be able to be picked out.
Leatherface - Mush - fave track - Dead Industrial Atmosphere - Frankie Stubb's songwriting is just fantastic combined Dickie Hammond's guitar work dueling with Frankie's and Lainey's drums make for a great album if not a great recording.
Pi 4 - Volumio - SMSL M300 Mk2 DAC - Technics SL-1210 - LDA Power Supply - Ortofon TA-110 - Clearaudio Charisma V2 - Music First 632 - NVA P50SA - NVA A80 - Wharfedale Linton Heritage - NVA LS7/TIS

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

savvypaul wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:56 am ...............
Mostly, though, it's just a case of whether music that I know I connect strongly with, emotionally and without conscious analysis, is doing it for me.
Nicely put - for me that's:

the Rolling Stones - first album (in particular "Route 66" and "Mona"; been listening to it for about 50 years on and off so it comes down to whether or not I'm enjoying it.
Rolling Stones - Sticky fingers, "can't you hear me knocking" ; get in to the groove - if I can't, somethings wrong.
Pretenders - get close
Mean red spiders (Ipswich band, not Canadian) and Dr Feelgood various tracks/albums
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

One good test track that I use that people either love or hate is everybody in the place by the prodigy
Very obnoxious early drum n bass that is brilliantly put together. As they add the layers of sequencers it becomes increasingly busy with increasingly fast transients and if speakers are not up to it or the amp can't deliver the power it descends into a shouty incoherent mess. It's meant to be played through massive pa stacks with thousands of Watts behind it. If the speakers are up to it and the amp can deliver the requisite amount of poke, it's a fabulous piece of phet and e soaked early 90s electronica.
The sight of 500 people pogoing in a Sheffield nightclub back in 99' and the almighty cheer that went up when the intro played has stuck with me for the last 20 years :mrgreen:
Try it for the laugh
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7