The listening room

All general audio posts go here.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: The listening room

Unread post by savvypaul »

Twistedheat02 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:57 pm Ours is a very small room approx 3.5m x 3.

I couldn't get away with big speakers in there.

The acoustics are actually pretty good. There is quite a lot of soft furnishings which I think help.

To be fair I've positioned my rig in the optimal position (firing down the length of the room).l

I would love a dedicated listening room one day but being honest a lot of the appeal of music for me is listening with my mrs so the setup we have now works pretty well.
I've visited one member here who has 4 foot high Tannoys in a smaller room than that...but his is a dedicated listening room.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
Twistedheat02 (Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:52 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Twistedheat02

Unread post by Twistedheat02 »

savvypaul wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:05 pm
Twistedheat02 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:57 pm Ours is a very small room approx 3.5m x 3.

The acoustics are actually pretty good. There is quite a lot of soft furnishings which I think help.

To be fair I've positioned my rig in the optimal position (firing down the length of the room).l

I would love a dedicated listening room one day but being honest a lot of the appeal of music for me is listening with my mrs so the setup we have now works pretty well.
I've visited one member here who has 4 foot high Tannoys in a smaller room than that...but his is a dedicated listening room.
How did it sound Paul? 8-)
Amps: Nva p50 pre, 2 x marantz sm17 power Amps

Digital: Chord hugo

Analogue: Rega P3, Graham slee era v gold

Speakers :Pmc 21,

Cables: speaker, NVA LS6, interconnect, ssp mk2

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Twistedheat02 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:52 am

A lot to like about it. I'd rather have Klipsxh Cornwalls or La Scala than the Tannoys, though.

Contrary to popular myth, most large driver speakers are very dynamic at low listening levels. This is especially true with high efficiency speakers, ime. I find that most small speakers need a lot of volume before they come alive, sounding boxed in and compressed at low volumes

Living in a terraced cottage, I want a speaker that can immerse me in the music without starting a war with my neighbours...
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
Lindsayt (Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:32 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Twistedheat02

savvypaul wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:14 am
Twistedheat02 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:52 am

A lot to like about it. I'd rather have Klipsxh Cornwalls or La Scala than the Tannoys, though.

Contrary to popular myth, most large driver speakers are very dynamic at low listening levels. This is especially true with high efficiency speakers, ime. I find that most small speakers need a lot of volume before they come alive, sounding boxed in and compressed at low volumes

Living in a terraced cottage, I want a speaker that can immerse me in the music without starting a war with my neighbours...

Sounds nice mate....

I get what you mean about the neighbours. We are in a terrace so cannot get too carried away!

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

When I lived in a terrace as a student we had very elderly neighbours on both sides. Both had hearing problems so we got away with a lot :dance: :dance: :dance: We lived up a steep hill and I always helped them carry their shopping up the hill as well as other errands and repairs in their houses. Happy days :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Have been in a detached for nearly five years so no problems with volume. Was in a semi detached before and only had problems with one set of neighbours who were their for nearly nine years. They were complete nutters and things got very nasty with police, the council and solicitors before they moved out.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Twistedheat02

CN211276 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:37 pm Have been in a detached for nearly five years so no problems with volume. Was in a semi detached before and only had problems with one set of neighbours who were their for nearly nine years. They were complete nutters and things got very nasty with police, the council and solicitors before they moved out.
I'd love a detached place, just for the ability to crank it up guilt free. one day.....

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Twistedheat02 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:53 pm
CN211276 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:37 pm Have been in a detached for nearly five years so no problems with volume. Was in a semi detached before and only had problems with one set of neighbours who were their for nearly nine years. They were complete nutters and things got very nasty with police, the council and solicitors before they moved out.
I'd love a detached place, just for the ability to crank it up guilt free. one day.....
It was a major consideration when moving house. :character-beavisbutthead:
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

The new tv has necessitated a change in speaker positioning which has resulted in an improvement in SQ. :grin:

Unlike the previous one the new tv is wall mounted. This presented a problem as there was nothing in the wall cavity to support it if centred where the previous one was. The tv is now more to the centre of the room, a couple more feet to the left. As a speaker could not fit underneath they had to be moved. The right speaker is now further from the side wall/window with the left speaker closer to the wooden hifi rack. I have also positioned them slightly furhther apart, with similar toe in and close proximity to the rear wall.

The SQ improvement is a greater sense of space with improved imaging. The frequency balance has not changed, but bass seems tighter with cymbals and tamborines sharper. I put this down to the previous closer proximity to the side wall/window to a speaker and also the sofa up against this side wall. The speaker is no longer above a sofa arm. The tv might also be playing a small part as it is behind the speakers and not a!ongside. It is also bigger than the previous one and makes the Cube 1s each side look smaller. Am very pleased with the UHD tv as well as the resulting SQ benefits. Hope the cricket restarts soon. :grin:
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Have you seen the frame televisions by Samsung ?

As seen on PFM. I want one, in fact I want this listening room but with carpet, several more amplifiers and MUCH bigger speakers :guiness;

DIY FREE ZONE