3 before bedtime

All music posts here please.
ArloFlynn
Ireland

Re: 3 before bedtime

Unread post by ArloFlynn »

I think I read somewhere at sometime and can't find it now, that My Death was to be on Ziggy but it wad replaced by Rock n Roll Suicide. I hear a clever similarity.

Yes agreed, the above version is very good. Smart Irish busker?
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

ArloFlynn wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:26 am I think I read somewhere at sometime and can't find it now, that My Death was to be on Ziggy but it wad replaced by Rock n Roll Suicide. I hear a clever similarity.

Yes agreed, the above version is very good. Smart Irish busker?
I was not aware of that. I am aware that the Chuck Berry cover Round and Round, which became a B side, was replaced by either Starman or It aint easy. Amsterdam was the B side of Sorrow. The first time I heard it was on a juke box in a cafe we went to in school lunch times for a smoke. First heard My Death in the Cracked Actor documentary. It was included in his set list in the 90s with a lot more instrumentation. I have a bootleg.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

ArloFlynn
Ireland

3 before bedtime tonight, Ladies and Gentleman

F*** off - Wayne County and the electric chairs. If you aint got time to take a walk on my meat rack, then get the hell outta my breadline. Wayne took a walk on the wild side and he became she.

White punks on Dope – The Tubes. Odd choice, but I like it. 12inch platform boots and a silver Gstring - when men were real men. The rest of the band just looked like a bunch of blokes from down the boozer. The title was rejigged to White dopes on punk, by Devo on ‘’Jocko Homo’’.

You can’t put your arms around a memory – Johnny Thunders. Sounds like Keef ‘n’ Mick. A friend’s older brother gave me this album in 1978? he didn’t like it and it had a scratch across side 1 after the 2nd track, this one. I have never heard the remainder of side, yet. How does that saying go? Keith can eat nails and piss rust, Johnny tried but died.

Nighty night
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

ArloFlynn wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:33 am 3 before bedtime tonight, Ladies and Gentleman

F*** off - Wayne County and the electric chairs. If you aint got time to take a walk on my meat rack, then get the hell outta my breadline. Wayne took a walk on the wild side and he became she.

White punks on Dope – The Tubes. Odd choice, but I like it. 12inch platform boots and a silver Gstring - when men were real men. The rest of the band just looked like a bunch of blokes from down the boozer. The title was rejigged to White dopes on punk, by Devo on ‘’Jocko Homo’’.

You can’t put your arms around a memory – Johnny Thunders. Sounds like Keef ‘n’ Mick. A friend’s older brother gave me this album in 1978? he didn’t like it and it had a scratch across side 1 after the 2nd track, this one. I have never heard the remainder of side, yet. How does that saying go? Keith can eat nails and piss rust, Johnny tried but died.

Nighty night
Sweet choices. Proper 'balls out' rock 'n' roll. (Or, 'balls off' in the case of Jayne). I started hearing WC about the same time that I started seeing John Waters films - Multiple Maniacs, Desperate Living, Female Trouble. One led to the other.

The Tubes were a year or two too early for me and I only really know that one. Crass reworked it to 'White Punks On Hope'... a catchy little number about the futility of the Rock Against Racism movement. Black man's got his problems and his ways to deal with it, so don't fool yourself you're helping with your white liberal shit'.

I reckon Willie Nelson should cover Johnny Thunders on his final album...
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
ArloFlynn (Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:52 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I have all three of those on vinyl.

The Wayne County track is on my copy of the "gold" vinyl (although I'm sure I remember it being described as "shit coloured," when it was released) Blatently Offenzive (sic) E.P., with Night Time, Toilet Love. and Mean Mutha Fuckin' Man completing the track listing. I'm told that the piano on Fuck Off was played by one Mr. Jools Holland, and that it was the first recording session he ever played on, in '76.
These users thanked the author slinger for the post (total 2):
ArloFlynn (Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:52 pm) • savvypaul (Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:18 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

ArloFlynn
Ireland

I only ever knew F/off by WC in all honesty, same for The Tubes too and neither owned on record.

An awful lot of the pop n punk I listened to came to me via homemade tapes, swapped, loaned and recorded by friends, friends of friends and elder siblings of friends, and so on. But it created a musical ‘coat of many colours’ of the late 70’s. The choice wasn’t personal, you took what you could get. One minute the Pistols were playing, the next, Black Sabbath.

When aged 14, pocket money didn’t stretch too far on a Saturday morning down the local record shop and careful thought was put into every 45 purchase.

Cheers.
These users thanked the author ArloFlynn for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:22 pm) • slinger (Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:24 pm)
Kevin.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

3 before bedtime tonight – Autumn Hymnal.

Harvest Moon - Neil Young. Sweet sounding Neil Young, melting and harvesting the hearts of many who stop and listen. A little late for the equinox Moon but it smells like Autumn outside today. One of the most relaxing songs I have ever experienced. I like Angus and Julia Stone’s version too.

Have you ever seen the rain? – Creedence Clearwater Revival. It has a great simple intro, then straight into a faultless verse, chorus, verse and end. Great song. Covered by many folk, even by me in the shower in Vietnam.

Redwood Tree – Van Morrison. From my 2nd favourite album of his. A simple dittie with simple lyrics. A mellow tune, what more to need. A bit like rounding the evening off with a sniff of chilled air, a piece of dark chocolate and a glass of Whisky all at the same time.

Nighty night.
These users thanked the author ArloFlynn for the post (total 3):
savvypaul (Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:29 pm) • CN211276 (Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:53 pm) • slinger (Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:27 pm)
Kevin.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

3 before bedtime tonight. Get sick get well.

White Rabbit – Jefferson Airplane. One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small and the ones your Mother gives you don’t do anything at all. Go ask Alice she will know! (Or Professor John Lee, he knows)

Under the pressure – The war on drugs. Sounds like something from the 80's that missed a Trevor Horn production bashing, resurfacing 25 years later unscathed. It also sounds a little like The Waterboys.

Low life – PIL. A good early rage from Mr Lydon, who has never feared calling it out. I saw him a few years ago on his 60th Birthday tour (or whatever it was called) in Wolverhampton. Managed to get a hold on the rail at the front. He covered the Stage in Snot and rage. Excellent I thought.

Nighty night.
These users thanked the author ArloFlynn for the post (total 3):
slinger (Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:40 pm) • Fretless (Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:49 am) • savvypaul (Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:14 pm)
Kevin.

savvypaul
Great Britain

3 (a fair bit) before bedtime. Riot Grrrl power! Well, they were grrrls when I first saw them 25 odd years ago...

Sleater Kinney - Dig Me Out. "What do you want? What do you know? Do you get nervous making me go? Get into your sores, get into your things. Do you get nervous, watching me bleed?"

Babes In Toyland - Bruise Violet. Still available for children's parties.

L7 - Fast& Frightening. "She's got so much clit, she don't need balls".

I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

3 before bedtime. Weller's finest moments?

In The City - the riff that became Holidays In The Sun, 6 months later, for the Sex Pistols:

The Bitterest Pill - I don't normally like ballads, John, but this is delicious:

Walls come tumbin' down - Red Wedge behind the Iron Curtain

I am in the hi-fi trade