Houdini

All general audio posts go here.
TroutFisher
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Re: Houdini

Unread post by TroutFisher »

Ordinaryman wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:31 pm ..................HeyHo
Hello Peter. Are you keeping well during these strange times?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

TroutFisher wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:48 pm
Ordinaryman wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:31 pm ..................HeyHo
Hello Peter. Are you keeping well during these strange times?
Hello, Greg. Thought you were sleeping elsewhere?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

savvypaul wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:44 pm
nilsatisnisioptimum wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:25 pm George seems to be just what's needed, I am looking forward to hearing his thoughts on this contentious addition to the music world
I don't think the Houdini is contentious. It appears to be a more engineered version of what already exists - Cartridge Man Isolator, Origin Live Cartridge Enabler.

What seems contentious, to me, are the claims made for it by Funk and the way it has been promoted.
We agree on why I think its contentious, from a technical/engineering perspective it appears at first sight to be completely unremarkable no matter what has been said. :)
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
savvypaul (Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:04 pm)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

savvypaul
Great Britain

I had a bit of conversation with the FF marketing guy on the WAM thread that I posted earlier. He gives more insight / info about the development / implementation / compatibility.
I am in the hi-fi trade

NSNO2021
Great Britain

I had a look as his replies and came away thinking he dodged your valid question about "template" endorsements and his tonearm claims were daft at best. This naturally colours my opinion on his future comments. Let's sit back and see what George makes of it.
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

savvypaul
Great Britain

nilsatisnisioptimum wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:30 am I had a look as his replies and came away thinking he dodged your valid question about "template" endorsements and his tonearm claims were daft at best. This naturally colours my opinion on his future comments. Let's sit back and see what George makes of it.
Yeah, but he could hardly admit to shilling. Hopefully FF have learnt that it wasn't the right way to go about things.

The tonearm stuff is complete nonsense. It has a beneficial effect with some arm / cartridge combinations but not others. A case of the marketing racing ahead of the evidence. They are far from being the only ones but they do seem to have found a special talent for putting peoples backs up at the same time.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

There are two, at least, schools of thought where transducers are concerned one suggests that all the components should be firmly coupled (with the obvious exception of the actual sensing element). The other suggests that the various components should be decoupled. Of course what we don't know is what, if any, decoupling exists within the cartridge. It may well be that cartridges with some internal decoupling are affected differently from those without when external decoupling is applied. Naturally, we aren't going to find out what is inside a cartridge without cutting it open so the only way to find out whether external decoupling works for a given cartridge is to try it.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
savvypaul (Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:42 pm)

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Geoff as always a good take on a discussion. In the next month I am going to cut out and fit a 1mm constrained layer damping piece from material made by this guy

https://www.lesdavisaudio.com.au/3d-2

I have these pads under my TT and to my ears they make a noticeable difference but I was disappointed when they did not improve my CD transport sound when compared to the sorbothane pads.

I am also considering using the same material between my tonearm and TT top, in doing this I would avoid having to shim it to compensate for the cartridge insert.

I have absolutely no idea how this will play out but what I do know in advance is this, it will cost a fraction of the £300 Houdini 😁
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
savvypaul (Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:42 pm)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

As I have only 1 functional arm, this as become the arbiter of it a tweek, is it worth it.

Building and amp with one arm/hand building an amp especially the soldering is difficult. But it's worth it so I practice, practice.

Fitting a houdini, difficult with one arm. Is it worth it. Err no.

1 arm the ultimate arbiter of a tweek.

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

These users thanked the author Latteman for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:54 pm) • NSNO2021 (Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:42 pm)
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources