A 70s japanese integrated?

All general audio posts go here.
Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

A 70s japanese integrated?

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Got myself some new (to me) cans, a pair of early 70s audio technica at 706 electrets. Ive had a pair of at-h7 electrets in the past and really liked them, but sold them as they werent getting used.

Ive bought some more cans so that i can bugger off away from everyone and relax with some music when the house is full of noise. And moody arseholes. Its been awful over lockdown, tripping over everyone and having no space or time to oneself so the plan is to put a little system together in the bedroom without speakers and run the electrets. They plug into an adapter box that in turn plugs into the speaker terminals on an amp.

The kids are back at school now (for how long is anyones guess ), but they come back.........

Ive tested them with a nasty little 80s marantz reciever and the spare cd player, and they sound really nice, however i know from the ath-7s i had that they are much nicer with a nicer amp.

What id like to do is have a nice 70s amp like the little rotel ra211 10w amp, or the old sony reciever i used to have, and have a little vintage system up there.

In terms of 70s vintage amps, ive only ever had the rotel, the sony reciever and a trio something or other, and that was a good 15 years ago. The rotel was a little sweetie. But i cant find one, so does anyone have any suggestions on what i should be looking at?

I dont need power, just something sweet

Cheers ant
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: A 70s japanese integrated?

Unread post by savvypaul »

I managed to pick up a sweet 1973 vintage 'baby' Marantz 2015 a few years ago for £80. The headphone output is surprisingly good and it's a joy to look at. Prices are starting to get silly, though. Reckon the Rotels are still good value...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

TheMarlin
Great Britain

Unread post by TheMarlin »

I always liked the JVC JAS 11. Sweet sounding little amp. I used to be able to pick them up for £5 on eBay, but now some people ask up to £100.

I used to buy them up, give them them to friends as part of a starter system. These little amps have gotten a lot of my friends into Hifi over the years.
Modded Belles A150 MK2, P90SA, & NVA SSP cables, and LS5.
Leak Stereo 20 & First Audio Classic Copper V2
Modded Lenco GL75 with Saturn arm, heavy custom plinth. Nagaoka MP500.
Nottingham Audio Hyperspace + heavy kit, + Origin Live Conqueror + Koetsu Black
Tom Evans Micro Grove MK2 MC phono
Bluesound Node2i (x2) both with latest power upgrades.
Topping D90MQA and Topping D90SE
Audiolab 6000 CDT transport.
All NVA cables

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Im loking the look of a rotel ra311, and a sony ta1066, the sony is the same model year as my r2r, the rotel is the slightly bigger brother to the 211 i liked so much.
15wpc for the sony and 20 for the rotel
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Couple of vintage Kenwood (Trio) and Sansui integrateds still running here.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 + LS6+ Sabaj A10a (2) + Little Bear MC2
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 (phono)Aiyima A07 MAX (2) + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I'm quite surprised at the prices of vintage Japanese kit, but I suppose it's been sussed that it still sounds pretty good. I quite fancy this, it's the big brother to the A-40 I started out with.

Not sure I'd go to three hundred quid for it though.

If I had the money, and "needed" a third system, it would be this sort of thing. I've always loved the look of these combos,

You just can't beat the look of dirty great audiophile analogue meters. :lol:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Bencat57
Great Britain

Unread post by Bencat57 »

oldcameraman3
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by oldcameraman3 »

A minefield of stuff out there,I have had an Aurex 15 micro system from new and still use it as a main unit at our second home.It is beautifully made and still stands up well to anything I have had since.The only trouble is they go for inflated prices relative to age (over 4o years ) and a good one is hard to find at a reasonable price.The sy-c15 pre amp is excellent but needs a good clean after a while, although that is relatively easy to do.They give more than the rated power relative to modern standards and a good one will last a long time.Although not integrated all the components stack and look like one unit only taking 26 cm in width which is o lot more manageable than the integrated ones and looks and is a high quality unit.Plenty of sources on the net to get further details.Good luck on your search.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Ive come across a couple of possibilities, bear in mind im not interested in the power output, 10 to 15w is perfectly adequete to drive the cans. Ill probably be using the first watt and nowt else

First a rather pretty sony str 6036 reciever, about 15wpc. I like the looks of this one

Next a rotel ra 312 which is probably a good shout

Also a sony ta 1066 which is quite pretty aswell, and a sony ta 70, which has the advantage of having a smaller footprint than the others

There wont be any normal speakers on the end of it although the pass through on the cans adapter box could be used if i felt like it at some point.
Kinda defeats the object of having some space from everything else.

I have an idea how the rotel will sound, but not the various sonys

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

There are so many to pick from, that part of the joy is discovering something that's good for the price you paid for it.

Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood / Trio etc etc

1970 to 1972 Japanese amps tended to be designed along valve amp principles except for using transistors instead of valves.
As the '70's went on the circuits developed a more solid state specific design.

And there was a phase of chasing certain distortion specifications with the over use of feedback and resultant disappointing sound. So much so that you had listening tests of the time that indicated an inverse corelation between THD and sound quality.

There's a school of thought that early 70's receivers sounded a bit better than integrated equivalents because of beefier power supplies in the receivers.

Towards the late 70's the upper ends of the model ranges seemed to be the realm of pre-power combinations.
I personally don't see a big deal in having a pre-power as opposed to an integrated - unless it's for something like a caravan install.
There are a few statement pre-power combinations that I'd take a punt on if I ever saw them for sale at the right price.

I'd also add that my NVA P50SA and A20 combination that cost me a total of £300 makes for a good reference point for comparing against other amplification at that sort of price point.