Feck this, I've had enough.

All general audio posts go here.
Nigel
Wales

Re: Feck this, I've had enough.

Unread post by Nigel »

Why not just keep your current gear? It sounds to me that your already obsessing about new equipment considering the KEF's etc. How much did you say they were again?

You have a decent system and your Bluetooth gear for playing tunes with the family. Why not just be happy and satisfied with that?

As previously mentioned, it's all just tools to listen to music in the home. You already possess the tools, no need to purchase more. Just enjoy what you have, buy some new music instead. Forgive me but aren't you the drummer in a band? If so, no good suggesting checking out some new interests, you must have a lot of things going on anyway. But you know, if you don't want to listen to music, watch a film, some television or enjoy a walk. All the best.
These users thanked the author Nigel for the post (total 2):
Lindsayt (Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:28 am) • karatestu (Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:08 am)
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Pioneer DVD300 / Topping E30 or AAAA5 cd player.
Audio Innovations Series 500
Heco Direkt Einklang
Headphones - Musical Fidelity A1 / AKG K1000

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Don't burn too many bridges, Stu. It works out bloody expensive when you change your mind again, mate. ;) I'm sure Paul will flog you a few decent boxes to store your gear in safely. :lol:
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
karatestu (Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:08 am)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

karatestu wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:17 pm Well that's the thing. I can no longer just listen to the music on anything more serious than a wireless speaker. I have ruined it for myself, my own stupid fault.

At least I can now spend the time I spent obsessing about equipment and electronics obsessing about which master is the best :lol:
Best master is easy. It's the one with the highest DR rating.

I think you haven't ruined anything. I think you've put yourself together good tools for the job of listening to music at home.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Unread post by ArloFlynn »

Yep Stu.
I completely understand.
These users thanked the author ArloFlynn for the post:
karatestu (Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:08 am)
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

For years now, I've been using cheap Superlux HD681 Headphones plugged straight on the PC. No DACs or Amps. Sound quality is good enough. Plays good music to my ears!

Stu - Do what makes you happy.

S.
These users thanked the author southall-1998 for the post:
karatestu (Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:09 am)
Shane Lonergan.

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Very sorry to hear you are at the end of your tether with speaker building. You have admitted to enjoying the sound they have made, but my impression is you've still tried to go another level up instead of just finishing them. I know you still have to sort out the electronics, but you could have purchased an amplifier, and there are plenty of dac/streamers you could also buy. I can certainly understand how easy the Kef's would make your life, many audiophiles have reduced their box count simplifying their systems, but just in case you don't like the Kef's when demo'ed this maybe a alternative route to take.
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
karatestu (Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:28 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Nigel wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:38 pm Why not just keep your current gear? It sounds to me that your already obsessing about new equipment considering the KEF's etc. How much did you say they were again?

You have a decent system and your Bluetooth gear for playing tunes with the family. Why not just be happy and satisfied with that?

As previously mentioned, it's all just tools to listen to music in the home. You already possess the tools, no need to purchase more. Just enjoy what you have, buy some new music instead. Forgive me but aren't you the drummer in a band? If so, no good suggesting checking out some new interests, you must have a lot of things going on anyway. But you know, if you don't want to listen to music, watch afilm, some tevision or enjoy a walk. All the best.
Oh Mary, Jesus and the little wee donkey. I am already obsessing about the new gear. Two and a half G's is a lot to drop on a glorified Bluetooth speaker. You are right Nigel, I should stick to my cheap Yorkshire 3rd world roots and just use the jbl charge 5. It has almost everything my diy efforts have but without the annoying levels of inner detail, resonances and wonky frequency response.

I NEED to stop obsessing about gear, resistors capacitors and cross over points. The only thing to worry about with the jbl is what music to put on next. Phew, freedom. If it blows up then it will cost me £150 for a new one. The only thing to worry about with the kef is how long before I have an expensive door stop. At least I can try expensive mains leads, stands and fuses, yay :dance:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

ArloFlynn wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:09 am Yep Stu.
I completely understand.
Hi Kevin. I knew you would understand. I think I have ended up in a similar place to you but maybe for different reasons.

In my case I am going to call it "bodge burn out". I can talk the talk but my diy audio skills are sadly lacking. I should just leave it to the pro's (like kef).
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

southall-1998 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:49 am For years now, I've been using cheap Superlux HD681 Headphones plugged straight on the PC. No DACs or Amps. Sound quality is good enough. Plays good music to my ears!

Stu - Do what makes you happy.

S.
Hello Shane. Good for you. I completely get it, sound quality from a Bluetooth speaker is good enough. Most of the detail is there and it is not presented in a pretentious annoying way. Who needs stereo anyway, it only makes you worry about where the sweet spot is. I read a lot of reviewer speak on forums and it only makes me laugh now. Chasing rainbows is what this hifi game is about along with obsessive compulsive behaviour and willy waving. An exercise in point scoring and the old thing of showing off how much money you have got.

At the volume I listen toi in a small 4x4.2 metre room a jbl charge 5 never breaks a sweat. I can't get along with headphones and my music listening at home is a group experience with my family. That's one reason why a single Bluetooth speaker is so good as there is never a distance between the two channels.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

antonio66 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:38 am Very sorry to hear you are at the end of your tether with speaker building. You have admitted to enjoying the sound they have made, but my impression is you've still tried to go another level up instead of just finishing them. I know you still have to sort out the electronics, but you could have purchased an amplifier, and there are plenty of dac/streamers you could also buy. I can certainly understand how easy the Kef's would make your life, many audiophiles have reduced their box count simplifying their systems, but just in case you don't like the Kef's when demo'ed this maybe a alternative route to take.
Hi Dave, Thanks for your thoughts. You make good points. I have at times gushed about the sound after a new to me discovery. What you should know is I AM FULL OF SHIT and anything I have ever said on here should be ignored. Yes, chasing detail ends in an ugly place where you can't enjoy the music. The jbl charge 5 is another world. Somebody competent has designed and made it ie not me.

I am afraid that getting separate boxes will leave the door open to faffing obsession and box swapping. I need to knock that shit on the head, it's affecting other parts of my life. Pissing about when I should be thinking and worrying about important things like earning money and taking care of my family. If I leave the door open then I am afraid that the obsessing will have a way to worm its way back in.

I need to draw a line under all this shit, it's not healthy. I have wasted a whole lot of time and money chasing rajnbows and unicorns. I can put that time and money in to something much more rewarding like my family, friends, saving the environment and finding obscure and exciting new jazz and funk music that gives me that glow that reminds me of being 18 again.
DIY FREE ZONE