Speakers

All general audio posts go here.
TheMarlin
Great Britain

Speakers

Unread post by TheMarlin »

Hi you lovely people, i need some advice.

I have an odd shaped living room, wide but narrow. Fireplace is in the middle of the room, along one of the longer walls, opposite window.

I currently have a Hifi set up on one of the narrower sides, firing across the room, not ideal.
(I have another listening room with ideal placement, and that’s my main system. Living room is second system).

The living room is about to undergo a complete refurbishment, plaster off the walls, floors up, ceiling replaced, the works. Fireplace is being opened up for new wood-burning stove (just in time for summer!) and electrics to Hifi getting a dedicated ring from the mains, will spend some money to ensure power is as noise free and clean as I can get it. Hifi (rebuilt Leak stereo 20, First Audio Copper Classic V2 etc) will be built into a recess in the wall; on display, looking cool.

I currently use Tannoy Dual a concentrics in the room, but would like to setup the speakers facing the sofa (directed at the window opposite fireplace) for best sound. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the weird room size, they’ll sticks out too far into the room, not wife friendly placement

I’ve come to the decision that I likely need some wall mounted speakers, siting on the wall, either side of the fireplace. Ideally, something that won’t be obtrusive into the space available.

Any thoughts, recommendations? Also looking for advice on a slim (wall mounted?) subwoofer which I can hide behind a sofa.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Cheers all

Marlin
Modded Belles A150 MK2, P90SA, & NVA SSP cables, and LS5.
Leak Stereo 20 & First Audio Classic Copper V2
Modded Lenco GL75 with Saturn arm, heavy custom plinth. Nagaoka MP500.
Nottingham Audio Hyperspace + heavy kit, + Origin Live Conqueror + Koetsu Black
Tom Evans Micro Grove MK2 MC phono
Bluesound Node2i (x2) both with latest power upgrades.
Topping D90MQA and Topping D90SE
Audiolab 6000 CDT transport.
All NVA cables

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Speakers

Unread post by CN211276 »

TheMarlin wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:22 pm Hi you lovely people, i need some advice.

I have an odd shaped living room, wide but narrow. Fireplace is in the middle of the room, along one of the longer walls, opposite window.

I currently have a Hifi set up on one of the narrower sides, firing across the room, not ideal.
(I have another listening room with ideal placement, and that’s my main system. Living room is second system).

The living room is about to undergo a complete refurbishment, plaster off the walls, floors up, ceiling replaced, the works. Fireplace is being opened up for new wood-burning stove (just in time for summer!) and electrics to Hifi getting a dedicated ring from the mains, will spend some money to ensure power is as noise free and clean as I can get it. Hifi (rebuilt Leak stereo 20, First Audio Copper Classic V2 etc) will be built into a recess in the wall; on display, looking cool.

I currently use Tannoy Dual a concentrics in the room, but would like to setup the speakers facing the sofa (directed at the window opposite fireplace) for best sound. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the weird room size, they’ll sticks out too far into the room, not wife friendly placement

I’ve come to the decision that I likely need some wall mounted speakers, siting on the wall, either side of the fireplace. Ideally, something that won’t be obtrusive into the space available.

Any thoughts, recommendations? Also looking for advice on a slim (wall mounted?) subwoofer which I can hide behind a sofa.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Cheers all

Marlin
Your living room seems quite similar to mine where the main system is, but we do not have a fire place. The speakers do not fire across the room, positioned in one side, and out of necessity have to be close to the wall. Cube 1s work very well and do not require a sub.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

TheMarlin
Great Britain

I’m thinking maybe something like a wall mounted electrostatic.

I tried the smaller cubes, they really didn’t do it for me.
All NVA cables

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

TheMarlin wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:37 am I’m thinking maybe something like a wall mounted electrostatic.
If it's a dipole it won't want to go near a wall...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

DaveyTed
Great Britain

Unread post by DaveyTed »

Recently read a review of Larsen speakers which are a modern take on the Sonab. Designed to sit up against a wall they are compact floor standers. Look interesting as an option for a wife tolerant solution - dependent on the sound of course.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

If you're taking the plaster off, why not knock a couple of holes in an inner wall and mount speaker panels in those holes?
For infinite baffle bass.
Speaker drivers mounted in the wall with a grill over them are as unobtrusive as you can get.

Or alternatively have a couple of cut-outs in the floor for infinite baffle bass, with insect grills across the cut outs.

TheMarlin
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:23 am If you're taking the plaster off, why not knock a couple of holes in an inner wall and mount speaker panels in those holes?
Speaker drivers mounted in the wall with a grill over them are as unobtrusive as you can get.

Or alternatively have a couple of cut-outs in the floor for infinite baffle bass, with insect grills across the cut outs.
They’ll be in front of the fireplace, can’t knock enormous holes into there, or chimney stack will come through the house.
All NVA cables

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Linn kans :dance: :dance: :dance: :guiness;
DIY FREE ZONE

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

TheMarlin wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:49 am
Lindsayt wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:23 am If you're taking the plaster off, why not knock a couple of holes in an inner wall and mount speaker panels in those holes?

They’ll be in front of the fireplace, can’t knock enormous holes into there, or chimney stack will come through the house.
Is there no room either side of the fireplace?

TheMarlin
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:26 am
TheMarlin wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:49 am

Is there no room either side of the fireplace?
Yes, there is. Not room for 15” Tannoy Dual concentrics, but room for a reasonable size speaker, as long as it likes being up against the wall.
All NVA cables