Netherlands

Bear Necessities

Unread post by Fretless »

"Look for the bear necessities,
the simple bear necessities
Forget about your worries
and your strife"

:animals-ginger:

Whilst cooking today's evening meal ('Hutspot met Speklapjes'. Dutch readers will know!) I was struck by an epiphany about my Hifi-usage over the last few months: call it a search for honesty.

The simple kitchen rig of JVC mini-tower and Wiim-Mini-clone IEast M50 were pumping out Duran Duran's 'Seven & the Ragged Tiger' and life was just flowing pleasantly along. Thinking about Hifi, I realised that my tastes, for now, have shifted into a different zone and the question is if that is a short-lived movement or one with a more permanent character?

Most of the more recent additions to my audio setups have not exactly been high-end or aimed at Purist Nirvana; if anything they have been simplifications and effective downgrading to a more basic, utilitarian format.

Two names have caused this restructuring: Sabaj and German Maestro (formerly MB Quart). The system that gets the most airtime these days is my Upstairs rig based aound the 2022 Sabaj models A20d DAC and A10a Class D bridged monoblock amps. Pricewise, the Sabaj gear is, effectively, budget level with the DAC and amps together weighing in at around the €700-€800 mark for the whole set. But this combo is delivering sounds with a power, control and accuracy that I had only previously experienced from a top-level Mark Levinson installation.

Similarly with headphones; my cans of choice are currently the German Maestro GMP 250 and 450 Pro. Both of these are certainly not expensive, luxurious or lush sounding but they have a quality of direct honesty that you rarely come across. No unnecessary colouration or accentuation, just the music as it was recorded. That's it.

Beginning my audiophile voyage back in the early 80's, I looked for a coloured sound - a sort of involving softness that would make all genres and albums come over as pleasant and enjoyable. Nowadays, technology has advanced and experience has taught me a trick or two about how to get the best performance out of even the most primitive audio system. And this experience is taking me back to those humble beginnings where the music was paramount and you wanted to hear: What is the band playing? What is the artists saying? What is that effect, that instrument?

Clarity, simplicity and honesty - these are the qualities I require at the moment. The music is not secondary to the gear - the equipment needs to be there to serve the music.

:music-listening:
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post (total 3):
karatestu (Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:58 pm) • CN211276 (Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:45 pm) • antonio66 (Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:19 am)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: Bear Necessities

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Over the past few years I have hardly used my Hi-Fi having become reacquaint with the value of silence. I still have music in the car but often don’t notice it.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

My opinion has always been the same. I am all about the music. Yes, obviously, I've tried to get the music sounding as good as I can for what I can afford and had fun swapping stuff out on my second system, but,I also enjoy listening to esoteric Blues stations, or Prog through my hundred-and-forty quid Roberts Stream 94L internet radio.

Bearing in mind I started listening to music as a solo pursuit (2-way family favourites with Sunday lunch doesn't count) with my first transistor radio, which must have had at least a two-and-a-half inch speaker, anything, technically, is an improvement. That being said, I loved that radio and enjoyed the music it produced at the time, probably just as much as I enjoy my music now because music is about emotions, not just inky-black subterranean sound floors. and tweaking the living crap out of your system.

If it were a simple binary choice I'd take great music and poor reproduction, over poor music and great reproduction every time.
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
Fretless (Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:26 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I can relate to your post very well Fret and totally understand what you are saying. :text-+1:

Sometimes the mind craves simplicity, minimalism even . Especially when there is lots of shit going down in life / the world. My experience is well documented on here and I can safely say I have totally lost interest in hifi (well almost). I don't listen to loads of music by any means and it feels good to have got rid of the clutter.

AP20, Wiim pro and a pair of B&W CM1. Only had to buy the wiim. This will do for me and my barely louder than TV listening. Got my life back.

These users thanked the author karatestu for the post (total 3):
Fretless (Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:25 pm) • slinger (Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:40 pm) • antonio66 (Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:19 am)
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

It has always been the music with me. I first took an interest in hifi in 79 but by the mid 80s it ended as I realised that the magazines spouted a lot of :Bllocks: . I was not going to be sucked into the flat earth. Had I been aware of quality "high end" products which were not touted in the rags, NVA an obvious example, things might have been different and most likely would have parted with serious cash. This was not to happen until thirty years later when I was far better informed through the Internet. Over a few years I put together what I consider to be a very good sounding system, bolstered by my experience of what I heard at the Bristol show in February. In addition the second system in the bed room also sounds very nice.

There has not been any changes for some time as I am more than satisfied with what I have. The most recent was oak speaker stands and Iso Pucks well over a year ago. My thoughts have moved on to what is fed into the system, ie the quality of mastering or lack of it because of the loudness wars. To these ears old CDs ripped to Wave sound better than compressed remasters. I have been picking them up for peanuts recently, albums I bought on vinyl before the advent of CD. Compressed remasters sound best in the car and on my Bluetooth, but not through the hifi.

When I was a child I first started enjoying music on a transistor radio and still do, or did. Earlier this month Planet Rock stopped broadcasting on DAB and moved to DAB+. My old radio only receives DAB so a new one is required. I put the purchase off because I was going on holiday, but will be back soon so it can't wait much longer. Any suggestions? Would not want to pay much more than £30 as it won't get much use outside the bathroom and is likely to have built in obeisance like the one I have.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
Fretless (Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:00 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Dab+ radio - check out Amazon. Plenty of models around the 30 pound mark.
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
CN211276 (Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:08 pm)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Fretless wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:04 pm Dab+ radio - check out Amazon. Plenty of models around the 30 pound mark.
I will be buying on line. Have been looking at one from Pure. The one I have is Pure and it served me well until DAB+ came along.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
Fretless (Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:19 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc