Solid floors and speaker support.

All general audio posts go here.
Theo
Great Britain

Re: Solid floors and speaker support.

Unread post by Theo »

Yep - and they work too (no, not as jockstraps)
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I can't believe that, they must have been a load of old bollocks :lol: :lol: :lol: :dance:

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

Are we talking about the same stands?

If so, I assure you, no bollocks are involved. It's quite disconcerting when you can move a 65kg speaker (it actually wobbles like a weeble, but self levels immediately), but the improvements, specifically in the bass and midrange, were tangible. I wouldn't have believed it either, but I was open minded enough to try them and put my money on them.

I don't think his new springy platforms work anywhere near as well though.
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

My post was a jock strap joke, never heard them. If they are good then they are good.

It is the old couple v decouple argument, they do different things.

My long term memory recalls a stand that was like a sling under the speaker, hence my jock strap joke. Don't know who sold it, perhaps it was an earlier Townsend version.

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

Blimey, would love to have seen those :)

Sovereign
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Sovereign »

Theo
Did you find the speaker cradles made the sound tighter and faster? Or just better defined?
Did the cradles help with tonal accuracy?
Thanks

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

Not tighter, but certainly better defined. Soundstage suddenly became far more evident, bass notes had better structure, vocals were more firmly placed. I'm not great at describing these effects (Gromit does that best), but it was very noticable, and wholly beneficial, in the context of my system, in rooms with bouncy floors.

I've no idea what the effect would be with solid floors: I suspect coupling might work better (spikes certainly helped for me in previous environments).

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Another of jammys cost cutters...?
Try sitting yer speakers on this, you will save a packet, and the sound difference will be much the same..
DONT SIT SPEAKERS ON WOBBLY THINGS.
:dance:
Attachments
blamange.jpg
blamange.jpg (8.08 KiB) Viewed 20694 times

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

My solution at the moment. Borrowing from both Figlet and Docs solutions. Four granite drinks coaster courtesy of the local Wilko and, because the speaker stand spikes aren't really adjustable (they are on a bolt but there's no locking nut) some small coins to level the stands out (a use for holiday small change). The stands are still a bit skiddy on top of the granite but it's steady. Once I've got the speakers positioned optimally, I might think of drilling and blutack to try and anchor them in position. Either that or I start making myself a mould for concrete speaker stands.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro